AVIC411.com

$5 VSS ffor 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

I've been going nuts over this. I cannot find the VSS for a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

It's not at the radio harness (basic stock radio). There's no gray/blk wire at pin position 68 or 58 at the PCM. There's no wire there at all.

I checked with a digital mulitmeter at each pinout of the gauge cluster. No luck.

I'm so desperate that I'll paypal the 1st recipient who can tell me the exact wire color and location that I can get to.

I'm looking for the exact wire, not just responses such as"check the abs module, or check the cruise module." I don't have the know how to find these modules.

Success will get you $5 paypaled to your email address... no joke.

I'm installing a D1.

Thanks,

-Mark

2004 Ford Exploder Sport Trac

Speed Sense GRAY/BLACK (AC) IN HARNESS ON PASSENGER SIDE OF ENGINE COMPARTMENT

or

Speed Sense gray/black PCM, pin 68

Notes: The PCM is on the passenger side firewall, under the hood.

That's all I have listed.

merry xmas anyway.

Thanks. I haven't heard of the harness in the engine compartment. I'll see if I can locate it. Everything's pretty tight underneath the hood in the car.

I even ordered Ford repair DVDs with the wiring schematics for the entire vehicle.

Thanks, but pin 58 & 68 are vacant on my PCM.

I'm compiled some possible points from a sport trac forum and will test them out on Thursday when I have access to the vehicle. I also should get my 2004 Ford factory repair DVD by then to verify the diagrams.

Here's my best bet thus far:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgbo ... ysporttrac

I received my Ford Service Manual DVD and spent some time looking up some diagrams.

I picked up the VSS connection at the windshield wiper motor connector Gray/Black wire. It was very easy to get to, easier than the PCM/ECM. This Ford has speed sensing interval wipers. Avic D1 picked up the pulse.

Nobody won the prize. $5 stays in my pocket :D

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a little more info. I have a 2005 Explorer. It did have the grey/black wire behind the radio. It was NOT in the main radio harness. There is a secondary harness in the dash. It looks like a 16 pin square connector, but there were only 2 wires in it. One of them was the VSS wire. The secondary connector is used for premium audio systems. Mine was not a premium system, so this connector was tucked away where it was hard to find. It does meet up with the wires from the primary connecctor, so if you follow it back far enough you should find the other connector.

Also, I do NOT know if all explorers had this connector in them, but it is a place to check.

I know you have yours hooked up, but I added this information for users searching in the future.

• 3 months later...

Can you provide a bit more detail as to the location of the wiper motor in the 05 sport trac for those of us without the wiring diagrams? =) I think I've found it inside the engine compartment on the driver side, attached to the top of the firewall. I've found a gray black wire attaching to that harness. Am I in the right spot? I also noticed from your article on mysporttrac that you were debating running the line back through the firewall. If you ever got that worked out could you advise as to where / how to come back through the firewall?

Thanks!

Andrew

Thanks for the quick reply on a sat night. =)

Where did the grommet you used come through in the passenger compartment? I've found what I think is the spot you are talking about with a single thick black line coming through just to the left of the brake pedal on the drivers side. Is this the spot you came through?