AVIC411.com

Z110BT + Audi + Connect2 Wiring Harness + HIDs = no audio!

I am unable to avoid using a harness due to the BMW wiring. Can this still be done using a capacitor? I have easy access to the constant 12V and Acc 12V going to the HU. Does anyone know what size cap and how to wire it? Also should I do it to both 12V or just the constant? Thanks all.

BTW I do have an upgraded HID fogs.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am using a relay. The battery in my car is in the rear along with the original car radio harness. I had to run everything up to the front for the Z110.

Under the hood there is a 12V post in which I plugged the 12V constant from the relay. I could not use the power from the original fog light harness since it caused a warning on my dash that the light was out. Instead there are resistors to fool the dash light.

What if I use a cap for the foglight instad of the head unit? Maybe it can draw the power from there instead and wiring is much easier since its all under the hood.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Technically, you could still use the BMW factory harness, but you would have to compensate for it, by using different resistors...

Figuring out what your truck is looking for, versus what you have is above my head as well...

I think in your case, I would try a capacitor... But I'm not sure if it's the Avic that needs it, or whatever you're using to interface the car's system.... Are you using anything to retain factory amps/speakers that requires power?

As far as which capacitor... I'm not sure... I would first try to get the biggest(farad) one Radio Shack carries...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2102508 <-- reviews are funny

If it doesn't work, then I'd probably go for something like this...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_180 ... ital-.html

But I have no idea how many amps the Avic pulls... Nor do I know how much and how long the HID's are pulling...

If yours is anything like my wife's X5(e70), then your fogs fire up when you're turning at slow speeds, or when backing up...

In which I could see it being very annoying..

I think I will try geting rid of the relay for now. Instead I will buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-HID-KIT-ERROR-WARNING-CANCELLER-CAPACITOR-BMW-E90_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f0e2be23QQitemZ300394135075QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think they have a built in cap to prevent the flicker therefore it may draw the power from that instead of the battery. I will also remove the resistors since this item replaces it and will simplify the install.

I will let you guys know if this works.

I think I will try geting rid of the relay for now. Instead I will buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-NEW-HID-KIT-ERROR-WARNING-CANCELLER-CAPACITOR-BMW-E90_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f0e2be23QQitemZ300394135075QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think they have a built in cap to prevent the flicker therefore it may draw the power from that instead of the battery. I will also remove the resistors since this item replaces it and will simplify the install.

I will let you guys know if this works.

Good call... Looks like you get all your prayers answered in one nice neat little package...

Let us know how it works out for you... me in particular... My wife just asked me about a week ago about putting "the cool looking lights" in the fog lamps... I put LED's in the Halos, so now she wants all of it to match...

• 1 year later...

Thats what I had, it caused the problem. Going back to using the car harnesses without the relayed harness fixed the problem.

Still having the issue. I have just been dealing with it and figured I'd check back to see if anything has changed. To reflect, I have the problem with and without the relay harness. My work around has been to turn my headlights on manually every time I get in so I don't have to deal with it. Normally during the day it wouldn't be an issue but when I put it in reverse it cycles the lights for a second and causes the issue, so i have just been turning on my lights all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread but my google-fu has brought me here.

Last night I replaced all the door speakers along with wiring up a 5 channel amp with sub into my tundra.

I have had DDM HID kits in the headlights and fog lights with no problem for quite some time.

during our testing of the install everthing was fine.

When i go to leave i decide to check my fog lights and boom system goes dead. Amp is turned off and my z120 while it appears to be "on" is not pushing out any audio almost like it went into a protect of sorts.

Shutting the truck completely off and back on will reset everything and no problem and once again as soon as i hit the fog light button it shuts down.

My headlight HID's do not cause any trouble. The fog lights are do have a relayed harness because they were installed aftermarket even though they are "oem". I am trying to figure out how I can bypass the harness to try what fixed VBLUE42 issue