AVIC411.com

New Avic-X920BT and Avic-Z120BT User Manuals!!!

As far as new hardware (this is only speculation) I do not think they will change it, for the reason of cost. Citing the Z1 - Z3 as an example the hardware used throughout the production of these models was identical. I am holding out for the release of the AVIC-Z120BT, so I can see if there is a possibility of upgrade. I purchased a used Z1 unit 6 months after they came out and have been successful in upgrading it, and a few others from friends. I am really looking forward to the pandora upgrade and the possibility of using my iPhone with my in dash Nav unit, to play video along with other things.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as new hardware (this is only speculation) I do not think they will change it, for the reason of cost. Citing the Z1 - Z3 as an example the hardware used throughout the production of these models was identical. I am holding out for the release of the AVIC-Z120BT, so I can see if there is a possibility of upgrade. I purchased a used Z1 unit 6 months after they came out and have been successful in upgrading it, and a few others from friends. I am really looking forward to the pandora upgrade and the possibility of using my iPhone with my in dash Nav unit, to play video along with other things.

I think Pandora is what leaning me towards waiting to see if the Z110 can be turned into a Z120 or not, in 100% of the way, performance and all. If these are coming out in May, I can wait till then to see if people have had success upgrading the z110. I won't be doing any stereo installs i the freezing cold of winter anyways :smile:

There will be a 120 upgrade for the 110.

Good to know but I do not want to have to pay extra for it, I hope there is a process that will allow us to update from the 110 to the 120 without having to pay Pioneer or anyone else a fee. Only then would I buy a 110 and upgrade it. If I have to pay to upgrade a 110 to a 120 then ill just buy a 120.

For what it's worth our Pioneer rep said changes are just going to be software and both new units will probably ship in May (X920 and Z120).

So there won't be a faster processor in the new one?

That would definitely confirm the new software loaded onto the Z110 will be just as fast and make it identical to the Z120.

The Z110 already has the fastest processor Pioneer has ever put into a nav. i wouldnt see a reason to upgrade the processor at this point

also, just so everyone knows, the Pandora feature on the new navs will only work with an iPhone. When i first heard about it I assumed it would work with any smartphone with the Pandora app and send it via bluetooth. however, unless I am mistaken, it only works with the iPhone when the iPhone is plugged into the ipod adapter.

Well, I'll put in my last 2c that I heard from the local Pioneer rep through my installer (he happened to be visiting when I was there a week or so back). I posed the question, 'Will the 110 be upgradeable to the 120 software?' Answer: "Yes" I then asked, 'Will the 110 be identical to the 120 then in this instance?' Answer: Definitely not (without any delay I might add), it will have more ram memory and hence faster. He indicated it would turn on faster but could say definitely. I did pose that the extra software the 120 had would work better on the 120 than the 110 (ie. faster/smoother) and he agreed 100%. Estimated arrival times for this store (my installer in Canada) was said to be late April for the 920BT and late July for the Z120BT. With this info I will be waiting until I see the 920BT in action for myself and then make my decision. I think I can wait at least that long before I shell out way too much money on another HU :shock:

I think Pandora is what leaning me towards waiting to see if the Z110 can be turned into a Z120 or not, in 100% of the way, performance and all. If these are coming out in May, I can wait till then to see if people have had success upgrading the z110. I won't be doing any stereo installs i the freezing cold of winter anyways :smile:

We already know its going to happen.

Good to know but I do not want to have to pay extra for it, I hope there is a process that will allow us to update from the 110 to the 120 without having to pay Pioneer or anyone else a fee. Only then would I buy a 110 and upgrade it. If I have to pay to upgrade a 110 to a 120 then ill just buy a 120.

You will pay a lot less by getting the 110 then getting the upgrade. And you will have to pay for it.

also, just so everyone knows, the Pandora feature on the new navs will only work with an iPhone. When i first heard about it I assumed it would work with any smartphone with the Pandora app and send it via bluetooth. however, unless I am mistaken, it only works with the iPhone when the iPhone is plugged into the ipod adapter.

That is correct.

Well, I'll put in my last 2c that I heard from the local Pioneer rep through my installer (he happened to be visiting when I was there a week or so back). I posed the question, 'Will the 110 be upgradeable to the 120 software?' Answer: "Yes" I then asked, 'Will the 110 be identical to the 120 then in this instance?' Answer: Definitely not (without any delay I might add), it will have more ram memory and hence faster. He indicated it would turn on faster but could say definitely. I did pose that the extra software the 120 had would work better on the 120 than the 110 (ie. faster/smoother) and he agreed 100%.

Just keep in mind there are reasons to believe that will NOT be the case. The biggest reason for a sales rep to tell you that is to push sales and hold price. Compare the price that 110s are going for right now as oppose to what the 120 is going to start at. 110s are going for about 900+ right now and the 120 is going to list for about the same price as the 110 did when it was released, 1599.99. Getting a 110 for 900 and the upgrade for 200 puts you at 1100. Far less then the 120 for the same unit after the software upgrade. There may be a hardware change in the 120 but I don't believe it will be significant enough to justify the extra expense for the 120.

I have the same thoughts... it should be the same hardware...

The X has less features than the current Z..... Why would they up the memory... and if they used a different processor, then they would have to completely re-compile the firmware... which would leave us 110 users without upgrades...

I'm willing to bet that there will be no change in hardware... I actually believe that Pioneer learned their lesson with the F series, and beef'ed this unit up so that hardware would not be an issue.... as well as reason why they went back to Windows Automotive, instead of a full out CE/Mobile OS...(keep cost down)

It would be cool if someone could find the 120 service manual.... that should spell out enough to determine if the HW has changed...

You will pay a lot less by getting the 110 then getting the upgrade. And you will have to pay for it.

There is also this to consider.... You got up until March 31'st to decide...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... ion+Rebate