AVIC411.com

New Avic-X920BT and Avic-Z120BT User Manuals!!!

Yep, 07 Jetta Wolfsburg. Love it! I'm driving about 20,000 a year myself and drive 100 miles a day round trip on top of a lot of side roadtrips around the country. I've had the Z110 now since October of 09 and like it a lot for the most part. As far as multimedia goes, it's NEVER dropped the iPod, not once (unlike my old D3 and F700BT), the VR for the iPod works well about 98% of the time, and everything is all roses until I go to navigate. The "learning" function never seems to learn that I don't take two unnecessary highways to get on the Garden State Parkway that has an entrance that is a straight shot of 3 miles from my house; instead the Z insists on adding 15 unnecessary minutes.

The lack of POI on route is the worst. Also, when looking up POI the unit sorts them by name first instead of distance, requiring 3 presses to sort them by distance, and even then, there's no indication of direction of the POI, nor is there info listed with it, you have to go back and forth in the info screen to see the address of each POI; the F/X series displays the address of each POI with the list page. The navigation software seems like it was written about 10 years ago. The maps look like Windows 98 with 256 colors. I wish that Pioneer would just run iGo on these units. iGo on the F series was actually not bad. Smooth animations, highway signboards that came up outside of junction view, POI on route, route creation and planning, SMART ZOOM, easy zooming in and out of the map, the list goes on. Also, uploading POI from Avic Feeds sucks. I spent a while compiling a list of all the Petro/Flying J rest stops along my trips to Nashville and put the SD card into the unit. I go to import the POI only to find out that I can't view any actual info about the POIs, they all have the same name with "Petro" or "Flying J" and there is no way to sort them by distance or anything. It just shows a giant list with the names. You press the name and it just brings it up on the map.

And one thing that really bugs me with the Z: the amount of confirmations that I have to press to go anywhere. I press the destination, ROUTE ME THERE! Don't bring up a map screen showing me the destination where I have to press OK or Scroll, then I have to hit OK, then press OK again when it makes all the routes, and then wait for it Calculate the route. PITA when I'm already driving.

Right now, I'm waiting for some reviews or hands on time with a new Kenwood DNX6160, which runs the newer generation Garmin software that the 9140 had, but hopefully without the bugs that the 9140 had. It has the higher res screen at 800x480 as opposed to the older KWs that had 480x234. The volume knob, less moving parts (no flip down) and more factory look are all a plus, too.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I wanted to take F90 out in the backyard and go Office Space on it til I got the Z110. That being said, its retarded that they took a step backwards on the navi software. No POI on route? Seriously? Do you have a single qualified programmer? And why do I have to look down at the screen like a million times to find 'OK' to do an address search? Its ridiculous! Then they have the nerve to 'advertise' on their dealer training site about the PAC product that adds infrared remote. Their own reps have agreed with me for years that they never should've taken off the remote eye. Now they are trying to pretend they are brilliant by allowing another company to make money off their own retarded product planners? Why didn't they just listen to what people wanted in the first place?

Wow, this is kind of weird. I in fact just yesterday, switched back to an X910BT from the Z. For exactly the same reasons. Here I thought I was the only one that secretly thought this way. Now, The Z is a great unit and I believe it has a certain future. This is the first time that I have had a nav system that I have actually had an opportunity to use to its fullest sense changing jobs back in September. I have to say, the Z has not failed me once. The problem remains however that, even though it has been good to me, I just couldn't feel as happy with it as I was when I had my F90BT. The fact that the F/X series is more feature rich in the navi category was something that has haunted me sense I left that series of units. It boggles me how they released the Z110 and the U310 with the same level of navi software. Only robing the U of most of its POI database so that it can be considered a basic nav as oppose to the Z. I too would love to see the iGo software run on the Z and that is about the only thing that keeps that unit from being perfect. I will certainly mis the 7", faster boot time, the general stability of the Z series and of course the VR. But I just could not ignore the fact that I could do more with the X series. Especially when you consider the community mod effort that is available. I think many will think I am crazy for this decision. It all boiled down to what I felt I needed to be happy with the unit. In the end the sacrifices I have made by going back to the X series are worth what I have gained. I too hope to see Pioneer "open their eyes" more to what their core users are asking for if they want us to spend our hard earned money on their product.

I'm making an educated guess, but I believe we are dealing with a company that has two or more entirely separate divisions making these products, and the team who is responsible for the "Z" series are stuck in their ways. In other words, it might as well be two or more entirely different companies making each series of NAV, and the company making the "Z" sucks.

LG is the same way. I own an LG VX1000 cell phone, or should I say crap phone. On my outer touchscreen is a button to unlock the touchscreen, which means the second it goes in my pocket, something rubs against it, unlocking the screen, and then my pocket dials BFE, Zimbabwe or another far off land.

LG has other phones that came out BEFORE my phone did, and those phones have touchscreens that have the unlock button where you have to slide it across the screen, like the i phone does..... meaning it never gets unlocked while in your pocket.

So basically, each LG phone and Pioneer NAV series is programmed by an entirely different team of people, and the teams that made my phone and Z are a bunch of retards. As a customer, how do you know which team made your device? They all just say LG or Pioneer.

(And please don't chastise me if you have a retarded child. No harm intended, and they shouldn't work for Pioneer or LG anyway...... sorry.)

Am I to understand the X series can do it all except have a separate video screen for DVD outputs? What is iGo?

It is common that companies like this have different design teams. Companies like this (Japanese) often don't share info. Kinda like the government before 09-11-2001. It is clear this is the case with Pioneer. Just look at the difference between the nav and DVD only units. It is also clear there will be no future units anything like the previous F series or the current X series. There were so many problems problems with the F series that I think Pioneer attempted to distance themselves as far away from that series as possible. That is why the X series was produced.

iGo is navi software by a company call Nv N Go that is used in the F/X series of units. iGo by itself, is a full featured navi app that is commonly used on portable/PDA devices. It has more in common with many popular portable navi units currently available on the market today. Kenwood has done the same thing with the Garmin software they license as early as with the previous DNX series of units. The problems started when Pioneer licensed the software from Nav N Go and butchered it to make it their own and released it in the F series. They clearly did not debug the software before they released the first F series units because these units were practically unusable. Within weeks of the F series release, Pioneer stopped shipment of the units in an attempt to do damage control. About 45-60 days after initial release, Pioneer release the first of many updates in an attempt to fix the unit. Although this did offer some badly needed updates, it also offered the boot files to access the file system and opened up the ability to modify the software and make it truly what it should have been in the first place. The X series is an upgraded version of the iGo software used in the F series and is also able to be modified. Even the unmodified version of the navi software in the F/X series of units offer some features more in common with popular portable navi units then what is available in the currently available Z110BT and future X and Z series. Because of the reasons stated above, It is safe to say you will never see this software on any Pioneer units in the future. That is clear in the impending release of the X920BT and future Z120BT as these units uses the same navi software as the Z110BT. This software has more in common with the previous Z, D, & N series of units making it clear Pioneer is now returning to their previous in-house navi software.

Am I to understand that people have programmed their own updates for the 910 available to us on the internet?

AND the x series has a totally different navigation engine? I did not know that.

So in other words, find a used x910 as the new x920 uses the same crappy nav as the Z? Glad you told me that, or I might have purchased the 920.

I think this puts the nail in the coffin on Pioneer if I want a new unit out of the box. It looks as if they will never update the Z nav software.

MikeinNJ Kudos on that "learning" function. After literally 100 trips through West Virginia, the unit has yet to learn I take the Route 19 shortcut between I79 and I77. It also randomly picks between two highway exits for my house, even though I've taken the same one 1,000 times. There is no learning function.

Does anyone at Pioneer USA read this forum?

Am I to understand that people have programmed their own updates for the 910 available to us on the internet?

On this very forum. This is where it all happened and continues to happen. Just look over the hacks and mods sections of the F and X series forums.

So VBlue, I almost did the same thing as you by switching back about a month ago. I bought a refurbed F700 off ebay, updated the software to 3.0 with the new maps and all my olds mods from when I had the F700 before I went to the Z110. However, the iPod would drop upon bootup about 15% of the time, the unit would reboot sometimes when placing a bluetooth call (Possible due to the No Nag warning mod I had or the fact that I had the X series 3.0 running with the F series bluetooth software, not sure which it may have been). Is the hardware of the X series much improved as far as iPod connectivity and BT? I'm aware that it has the new Apple chip in it for charging iPhones, etc.

Thanks for any input! I still love how fast the thing boots but I hate the navi more everytime I use it. I still don't understand how my F700 was more accurate on the map using only the antenna when the Z has the speed sense hooked up, gyroscopes, AND the antenna...

It was always suspected on this forum when the X series was released that the hardware did not change at all from the F to the X series and I don't see that it is any different from the F90BT I had a year ago. Of course this is only speculation. I had the iPod drop once yesterday and the BT is a little flaky in that sometimes the call indicator is slow to display on the screen when making or receiving a call. The name also will not always display when receiving or making a call which is an old problem clearly not addressed properly from the F series.

I know that you're also very active on the KW forums and had a 9140. Did they ever fix the street name issues and what not with them? Did the 7140 (Non voice interface) have the same issues?

I'm looking into the DNX6160 which appears to have the same Garmin version as the 7140 and the same multimedia interface as the 7140. I used to have the 8120 Excelon with the old Garmin software on it and loved it but HATED the ugly low res multimedia interface. They seem to have upped the screen res/fonts/etc. Also, did the 9140 have lane assist? I don't care about Junction view, just lanes. Thanks! I wish there was someway we could rent these damn things to test them out in real world scenarios and not just play with them on a wall at BestBuy.

I have just picked up a DNX6960 from my local 6Ave Electronics for $798. 2 Year warranty intact. The guy said that they are offering that for the price of the old 6140 (Non Excelon) as a substitution since they put the 6140 on sale this week but were out of them. I'll get this thing installed around 11 tonight and put up some pics and impressions tomorrow on the KW forum.

I know that you're also very active on the KW forums and had a 9140. Did they ever fix the street name issues and what not with them? Did the 7140 (Non voice interface) have the same issues?

I believe so but I haven't ;followed that unit sense I got rid of it.

Also, did the 9140 have lane assist? I don't care about Junction view, just lanes.

No lane assist or junction view.

Wow, this is kind of weird. I in fact just yesterday, switched back to an X910BT from the Z.

Wow, where have I been... You ditched your Z? I can't say I haven't thought about it when amidst certain feature "frustrations" lately either, but really you got rid of it huh?

I'm not too up to speed on the different "engines" driving the nav interface on these different series of units (F, X, U, Z, etc.), but is there any possibility that the Z can have that "better" interface after one of these said upgrades? I've really been pretty ticked off with the look, feel and usability of the navi on this unit so far. Makes it even worse when I'm fumbling through it and my wife says... "I could do that in about 3 seconds on my TomTom..." Sad part is... she's right. It looks better too.

Wow, where have I been... You ditched your Z? I can't say I haven't thought about it when amidst certain feature "frustrations" lately either, but really you got rid of it huh?

Yep, having a tone of fun too.

but is there any possibility that the Z can have that "better" interface after one of these said upgrades?

Well we will have to see but I highly doubt it. The Z runs completely different software then the F/X series and I dont think Pioneer is going to make the same mistake they did with the F series by offering us the boot files to get into the file system of the Z series.

Gotta say... the Z has been a disappointment. I sure as hell hope the update beefs it up a bit in some way. Otherwise, I'll be getting out of this unit. And considering how disappointing it's been so far... I will CERTAINLY be looking for my update on Isohunt.com... not Pioneerelectronics.com.