AVIC411.com

X920BT Pandora link question.

I am wondering about the actual devices it supports, in the manual they specify any iphone running pandora, but in the CES video the guy seems to hint at more than just iphone support

"speaks with a portable device with the pandora app on it, in this case we have an iphone 3gs"

1:45 into the video =>

from the wording it sounds like it could possibly support pandora running on android?? or maybe backberry?? at least I hope :) Unless of course he was referring to other iphone devices when he specified the 3gs.

Any insider here know if pandora on an andriod phone would work?

Likely not. The Pandora support works in conjunction with the iPod cable from the unit. Unless they release a cable that is compatible with other phones, or other phones allow external control from another device as the iPhone does, it wont happen. You will likely not see any other device support with any navi unit other then Apple devices for quite a while, if ever.

Likely not. The Pandora support works in conjunction with the iPod cable from the unit. Unless they release a cable that is compatible with other phones, or other phones allow external control from another device as the iPhone does, it wont happen. You will likely not see any other device support with any navi unit other then Apple devices for quite a while, if ever.

Well the ipod cable is basically a usb cable. All cell phones interface PCs with a USB cables so technically its possible providing the application provided support for it on the mobile phone side, but unfortunately I fear you are correct and there probably wont be any pandora link android support. I just wish the guy would have said specifically in the video that ONLY iphones would work :(

• 5 months later...

Any developers around?

How hard will it be to make the PandoraLink - Android equivalent?

I wish I had some more time in my hands.. but this will be what I would do....

1) Get a jailbreak iPhone..

2) Hopefully in Cydia there is a tool to monitor device communication..

- find the open port for PandoraLink

- track device communication for the actions

3) Create an Android app which makes USB connection and emulates the communication.

Really is not as easy as it sound because requires work. Is sad we don't have this, because is what holding me from converting out of iPhone

UPDATE

From a quick search, there seems to be a project for having in Android an iPhone emulator... I wonder if this will be similar to WINE in Linux. If this is true and depending the progress..... I wonder if we can just load PandoraLink (iPhone version) into Android?

Lol! who knows.. maybe the problem is the iPhone and the crappy Objective-C which can't even close an application correctly... yeah! "Multi-tasking done right!".. B.S. :evil:

Also, it doesn't have to be "real" emulation like my update post. It can be research and create an open source application which handles the communication appropriately.

Sorry, I grew up out of flame wars. I prefer hard facts with all candidates compared....

And there is no vendor who offers PandoraLink for Android.. So probably someone ~developed this "service" for iPhone to communicate Pandora App signals and sold it. Vendor probably implemented the interface and made a GUI for it.

Not sure as I have not seen the code.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...