AVIC411.com

I installed an AVIC-Z1 in my 2007 Mustang. It has a subwoofer (Shaker 500) and in one of the Mustang forums there are instructions to install a 5 Volt Regulator between the AVIC unit (blue amp wire) and the subwoofer to eliminate the pop.

So I installed the voltage regulator but every time I turn on my unit I get a loud pop through my speakers.

Anyone had this type of problem or have any ideas on resolving this?

I installed an AVIC-Z1 in my 2007 Mustang. It has a subwoofer (Shaker 500) and in one of the Mustang forums there are instructions to install a 5 Volt Regulator between the AVIC unit (blue amp wire) and the subwoofer to eliminate the pop.

So I installed the voltage regulator but every time I turn on my unit I get a loud pop through my speakers.

Anyone had this type of problem or have any ideas on resolving this?

You sure you hooked that up right? That usually works.

You need to change the location of your ground. The closer to the battery the better. First rule of thumb for "Pops" and "Whines" is move the ground.

This may eliminate the problem. If not read on...... :lol:

The other problem is the difference in voltage between your amps 12v source (from the battery I would assume) and the voltage through the blue wire. In this situation, I would recomend using a bosch relay SPDT from the same source as the amps main current feed. The blue wire will tell the relay to trigger and send the same current as the amps current thus eliminating the "Pop" :D

Problem solved.

OK I moved the ground location, no change. So then I reversed what I understood to be the "In" vs. the "Out" connections on the Voltage Regulator and we have success.

I checked the subs and they are fully operational, no pop.

I would have assumed that hooking up the voltage regulator backwards would have prevented the subs from turning on, but based on my experience it seems that it would still pass a signal to turn on the amps, but just not regulate the voltage.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I hope this helps anyone else experiencing this problem.

I would have assumed that hooking up the voltage regulator backwards would have prevented the subs from turning on, but based on my experience it seems that it would still pass a signal to turn on the amps, but just not regulate the voltage.

Yah, I think that's how they generally work if they don't destroy themselves.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone / Ducatiboy,

For the rear subs: I'm putting my wires together and I have the crutchfield harness to match up with the Z1's harness. My questions are:

1. The crutchfield harness has 2 wires (blue & blue/black), the Z1 has just one blue/white wire (labeled system remote control). I called crutchfield and they told me to connect both blue wires from their harnes to the single wire from the Z1. Is this correct?

2. I have the resistor to install as well. One of the threads stated:

"The regulator goes to the Amp IN wire, I can't remember all the details but I belive there is a Collector (Input) base (Ground) Emittor (Output) so your amp would go into the Input leg of the 5v regulator and a ground would go to the middle leg and the output to the harness of the Z1 to the Output leg. I had the pop too and added the reg and its now perfect :)"

So if I first connect the two wires from the Crutchfield harness together, then according to the info above, these two wires somehow have to get soldered to the Input leg of the regulator (seems like a chunky group of wires with two wires going to the small leg of the regulator, suggestions?). Then the Single wire from the Z1 harness gets soldered to the output leg of the regulator. Is this also correct?

Thanks,

LM

Hey everyone / Ducatiboy,

For the rear subs: I'm putting my wires together and I have the crutchfield harness to match up with the Z1's harness. My questions are:

1. The crutchfield harness has 2 wires (blue & blue/black), the Z1 has just one blue/white wire (labeled system remote control). I called crutchfield and they told me to connect both blue wires from their harnes to the single wire from the Z1. Is this correct?

Someone else should check the wiring diagram, but I believe this is correct.

2. I have the resistor to install as well. One of the threads stated:

"The regulator goes to the Amp IN wire, I can't remember all the details but I belive there is a Collector (Input) base (Ground) Emittor (Output) so your amp would go into the Input leg of the 5v regulator and a ground would go to the middle leg and the output to the harness of the Z1 to the Output leg. I had the pop too and added the reg and its now perfect :)"

You are putting in a resistor or a regulator?

So if I first connect the two wires from the Crutchfield harness together, then according to the info above, these two wires somehow have to get soldered to the Input leg of the regulator (seems like a chunky group of wires with two wires going to the small leg of the regulator, suggestions?). Then the Single wire from the Z1 harness gets soldered to the output leg of the regulator. Is this also correct?

Thanks,

LM

The 2 wires from the crutchfield harness go to the OUTPUT of the regulator. The INPUT of the regulator is the 12V out of the Z1. Then ground to ground. I would recommend soldering a wire to all 3 terminals and then those wires to the "chunky" ones in the harness.

2006 Ford Rustang

Speed Sense dk. blue/yellow ac PCM, top plug, pin 3

Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the front passenger side of the engine compartment.

It also "might" be gray/black in the radio harness, not sure if they still do that with the new body rustangs though.

merry xmas