AVIC411.com

Dimmer - 04 Sierra

So, I literally just did the ebrake bypass like 10 mins ago, the bypass itself was easy as cake, in my truck getting all the wires back up in the dash so the unit sits properly is a pain in the neck but the bypass worked great.

I confirmed that all the wires were connected correctly. The only 2 that were not hooked up were the speed sensor one and the reverse gear one. I could have connected the speed sensor, but it has never given me an issue, I have had this unit for awhile now. sense shortly after the D3 came out. It has always blinded me at night and I have to go into the menu and manually adjust the brightness and dimmer.

I know there is a daytime/nightime option in the menu. but I am not sure what it does, or what it should be on for the auto dimmer work.. I would love it to dim when the lights come on.

On that topic, I know that the map can dim, but can the normal audio screens dim, like xm or local radio ect.

Thanks for the input.

yes, you need to have the illumination wire(orange/white i believe it maybe just a orange wire) coming out of the harness hooked up to the correct wire in the factory side harness which will be just orange (orange/white & orange/black wires are dimmers and usually dont work) also some newer cars might have a illum wire in the harness but it wont work, in this case you will need to find a positive dash light that comes on with the headlights usually the ashtray (if your vehicle has a light there) is the easiest place to go other wise you may have to go to a light inside a module like the climate controls which may be a little tricky

there is a brown wire in the drivers kick panel that is a positive parking light wire that will work if needed (sorry i dont have any more info on the location of the wire, you will have to test for it) however DRL's or auto headlamps may cause this wire to be on more that you want it for.

So it sounds like, if my trucks harness does not have the correct wire, (which i suspect it doesnt) then I basically need the orange dimmer wire that is coming out of the radio connected to the positive wire of a light that comes on with the actual headlights (not the drl lights). Alternatively, could it be put on a small toggle off of the 12v power supply wire that goes to the radio? That would be benificial because I have the auto daylight sensor lights, and sometimes they kick on when I would like to have the radio still on full brightness. Idealy if I am correct the small toggle would be best suited for me.

Also, anyone know if the dimmer effects the actual audo screens, like the xm home screen for example. I know it is supposed to work on the map, but does it do anything to the other screens besides the map?

yes the switch would also work.

yes the illumination dims all the screens, the nav will automaticly switch to a night mode with dark backgrounds, but the brightness stays the same, the illum wire causes the brightness in the screen to go down (audio side too)