AVIC411.com

X910BT & iPod Touch (64gig) 3rd Gen problems... :(

So, I've searched these forums for about an hour, ontop of searching the interweb for an hour earlier, but can't find an explanation or solution...

I bought an AVIC X910BT to put in my 350z, but for some reason, it doesn't recognize my iPod Touch 3rd Gen. It recognizes my friend's iPod Nano and my girlfriend's iPod Classic. I've tried 2 different cables (Absolute ABS-CDIU230V (

What version of firmware do you have on your 3rd Gen iPod Touch?

As taken from an iLounge article:

The back of the late 2008 iPod touch has four lines of engraved text, which sit between an “8GB,” “16GB,” or “32GB” badge and a collection of electronic certification logos. The engraved text starts with a serial number and ends with the words “All rights reserved.” By comparison, the back of the late 2009 32GB and 64GB iPod touch models has a noticeably smaller “32GB” or “64GB” badge, and only two lines of engraved text before those logos. The text starts with the phrase “Designed by Apple in California” and ends with the serial number. Otherwise, the units are indistinguishable from one another when their screens are turned off.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Keep in mind that the 3rd Gen iPod Touch was released toward the end of 2009 and is the first of the Touch line to offer 64gb support. They have slightly different hardware than the 1st and 2nd generations.

The 1st and 2nd Gen iPod Touches work fine under all firmware versions. The 3rd Gen apparently doesn't work under the latest firmware version (3.1.3), but Pioneer says it should work under 3.1.2.

I spent a lot of time trying to find a solution and have talked to 3 different Pioneer customer service reps (2 were helpful, one was dismissive and wasn't helpful at all), as well as 2 Apple customer service reps.

2 of the Pioneer reps said that in their notes, it shows that the iPod Touch 3rd Generation works with the 3.1.2 and below firmware. Recently, Apple has released the 3.1.3 firmware and I've been scrambling to find a way to downgrade firmware. I think I've found a way that works, but it's a little bit of work and I'm hesitant to try it just yet. I'll let you know if that fixes my compatability issue, though. If not, I'm stuck with the Aux cable until Pioneer updates their firmware on the x910 device and includes/updates their iPod support for this.

From what I got out of the Pioneer reps, they do pass the feedback on to the development team and since the unit was released only in 2009, they still support and upate it. So, I don't see any reason they won't eventually update the firmware to properly support the new iPod Touch 3rd Gen. I believe the last x910 firmware update was in Feb, so it wasn't too long ago.

As for the iPod Touch 3rd Gen, according to the Apple reps, they did some semi-significant hardware changes for the 3rd Gen iPod Touch, so that's probably the stopping point for the compatability.

Either way, I'm hoping that sometime next week I'll be able to downgrade the iPod firmware to 3.1.2 and give it a shot. Hope I don't break it :\ If that doesn't work, I'll try 3.1.1. Again, I'll keep you posted.

I just talked to Pioneer tech support today about the compatibility between the X910 and the 3rd Gen. iPod touch. The tech person said he has an iPhone 3GS with the newest software 3.1.3 and he hasn't notice any problems with the operation of his iPhone with the stereo. So I don't think that the apple software is the problem either. I looked into this myself because I ordered the X910 this past week and I have a 32G 3rd Gen. iPod touch. I hope they work together, I guess I will find out when I get everything hooked up.

I'm sorry, but I'm not trusting the faith of the Pioneer tech on that one. Plus, the 3GS may work, but the iPod Touch 3rd Gen doesn't. I don't know about the hardware on the iPhone 3GS, but I know the hardware changed a bit within the iPod Touch 3rd Gen.

If you truly have a 3rd Gen iPod Touch, 32gb, I'm really expecting you'll have problems. If not, then my only next assumption would be that the problem lies with mine being a 64gb...

It's not a functionality problem with my radio unit because it recognizes other iPods just fine, as stated in my opening email.

Either way, please follow up and let us know your results of your iPod. Also, did you use the comparison above to make sure you have an actual 3rd Gen Touch?