AVIC411.com

Rearview Cam Question

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes just tap into the reverse light wire witch will tell the unit that your backing up and turn ur cam on.

and also ground the black wire.

Tap into the wire harness from a cable from the backup cam? I think I hooked a cable up to the wire harness from the GMOS-04 harness I have. I do know when I put my truck in reverse it would turn on the black screen (turned that off since I dont have a cam) So would I just need to ground the black wire and hook up the RCA?

If you want to be able to view the camera while driving do not install per the suggestions above. The advice above is the half assed approach most installers take to cut a corner but is not the proper way to wire a reverse camera. If you want full capabilities, you need to wire the power wire of the cam to the switched 12 volt +, the ground wire to any ground, and the reverse wire from the head unit to the reverse circuit on the car, and the RCA video cable from the cam into the rcam input on the rear of the unit. This will give you reverse cam and rear view while you are driving.

If you want to be able to view the camera while driving do not install per the suggestions above. The advice above is the half assed approach most installers take to cut a corner but is not the proper way to wire a reverse camera. If you want full capabilities, you need to wire the power wire of the cam to the switched 12 volt +, the ground wire to any ground, and the reverse wire from the head unit to the reverse circuit on the car, and the RCA video cable from the cam into the rcam input on the rear of the unit. This will give you reverse cam and rear view while you are driving.

Totally agree.

IT`S NOT HALF ASSED, I WAS JUST GIVING HIM ADVISE ON USING THE CAM JUST FOR BACKING UP. NOT USING IT WHILE GOING FORWARD. YOU IDIOT

Come at me again like that ass hole and see if I don't ban your stupid ass from this forum!

HAHA....

On another note... thanks for the advice VBLUE42. Sounds like it will be more of a hassel to do since I already installed the unit. I'll have to see if the rear view cam is that important to pull the unit out again.

Has anyone ever found a site where someone tested all these rear view cameras? Everyone seems to look for quality but it appears the only variable is price. Sales folk will steer you to the more expensive units but that does not always mean better image. Unless someone had them all side by side to compare it would be hard to comment. Most people install one and feel the picture is OK and there is not much difference from one to the other. Is there a difference between the $300 Sanyo that has birds eye view and the cheap $99 Boyo camera?

I had a Boyo VTL-300 license plate frame camera (Black, not chrome) on my older 2004 Ford Expedition, and I was extremely pleased with the images on my old AVIC-N3, even at nighttime. Now on my 08 Expedition, I had another VTL-300 installed with my X910BT, and Im still extremely pleased with the clarity of the picture in both daytime and nighttime. I think I paid $140 for that camera. No need for $250 for the Pioneer backup cam.