AVIC411.com

Rearview Cam Question

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my BOYO VTL300c.

Quick question:

There are 3 cables, red, black, and Yellow. The black can go to any ground, and the red goes to the 12v power? Yellow goes to the obvious.

Just wanted to clarify before running the cable throughout my truck.

Thanks!

I was impatient and started doing this anyways.

Got the cable ran, connected the red wire to the 12V + and the black to a ground and the yellow video (from the cam) to the brown rear view plug on the avic. Im not getting any video though... in either situation (when actually putting it in reverse, or going to source and pressing REAR VIEW). It does go to the rear view cam when in reverse, but all black... what am I missing?

Sounds like either you have the battery polarity reversed in the camera settings on the unit or you have a bad power or ground or a bad video signal from the video wire on the camera. Troubleshoot your install.

I changed the polarity settings back and forth and that didnt help, not even sure what it does.

So since the unit was already installed I had to cut into the 12v + and splice the power into it with a wire nut. I did notice that the actual wire that came with the cam is very thin so it might not be making a good connection. Im going to solder them just to see if that makes a better connection. Could the wire nut be the issue?

Wasnt the wire nuts.

Apparently you cant ground the ground to plastic.... :idea:

It was dark when I was doing this, one side was metal, the other was plastic. I grounded it somewhere else and voila. It works while the car is in motion too! Whats the difference between the polarity's? I hope I dont have to take this deck out again... its such a pain having to get the cables back in.

Thanks again for all your help.

If you want to be able to view the camera while driving do not install per the suggestions above. The advice above is the half assed approach most installers take to cut a corner but is not the proper way to wire a reverse camera. If you want full capabilities, you need to wire the power wire of the cam to the switched 12 volt +, the ground wire to any ground, and the reverse wire from the head unit to the reverse circuit on the car, and the RCA video cable from the cam into the rcam input on the rear of the unit. This will give you reverse cam and rear view while you are driving.

Hadn't thought about powering the cam all the time.. do these have duty cycles, or lifetimes we need to worry about?

Sam

• 9 months later...

Wasnt the wire nuts.

Apparently you cant ground the ground to plastic.... :idea:

It was dark when I was doing this, one side was metal, the other was plastic. I grounded it somewhere else and voila. It works while the car is in motion too! Whats the difference between the polarity's? I hope I dont have to take this deck out again... its such a pain having to get the cables back in.

Thanks again for all your help.

did you ever decide what the difference in polarity was? which did you set it to - battery or GND, essentially, is the polarity positive or negative while in reverse, and how would we know anyway?