AVIC411.com

x920bt initial thoughts after a few hours

So I received my x920bt yesterday and put it in.

My old unit was a f900bt with the 3.0 update

To sum it up im very happy with the improvements, they really took their time with this unit and the polish shows.

So far the pros with new unit:

Very responsive and fast

Works great with steering wheel controls PAC SWI ps

Much simpler cabling (optional usb cable, not hard attached) Only need a/v cables for bypass with the mute wire, in other words the ipod cable is seperate usb connection in the back, no rca connection for ipod)

Improved voice recognition

Ability to enter addresses by voice

IPod cataloging takes seconds

Active call bluetooth menu doesn't lock down the unit, you can push close.

Boot up time is 15 seconds!

Improved voice guidance

More detailed turn by turns directions (big screen comes up comign up to a turn that makes it a no brainer where they want you to go, even when its very complicated.

Radio information like radio station name shows up with normal fm.

mp3 dvd works wonderful.

The new screen layout is great, it shows so much more information without that dumb ipod wheel crap.

The transition effects is cool

Brought back the connection status information (shows gps status, pulse cable, parking brake, lllumination etc.)

defaults to ipod for av1 input, so no more select ipod in av menu crap)

selecting

I love the new button layout, no more stupid push button/wheel that barely worked,

having a dedicated voice control button is nice. Makes it a lot easier to use instead of the ok lets focus and push the button wheel im used to.

Now for the cons, so far:

User interface is so far pretty confusing a lot of things are tiny icons hidden around the screen in the ipod, going to playstlists etc. It is a 180 from the f900bt with igo. Guess you just have to get used to it

clock is in the upper right corner, and so far I haven't found how to change from real time in top, but when you touch you can vary time to destination, time of arrival etc.

I can't get pandora to work yet. I have an iphone 3gs with pandora, I followed instructions, information just doesn't get pushed into the unit. Its a blank screen with areas where the information should populate.

----------------

I simply grounded the parking break, without the mute wire change, so its giving me errors parking brake not set correctly. So ill have to do that it also knows when your moving so when you stop it all goes active. I wasn't sure how to bypass when I isntalled but it seems to be the same for z110bt

Overall it was a good upgrade. It will take some getting used to, but so far, except for the pandroa thing which im sure I will figure out, its great.

Essential I would say this is a cut down z series in a X/F chassis.

I am assuming no mods like with the x and f series prior. This is def not windows ce or igo. Explains the change in nav style, fast boot up time etc.

A few notes:

Cabling is completely different from X and F series units. It is the same as Z110bt.

GPS connection is IDENTICAL to F/S series so no need to swap that out

MIC connection is the same as well, but im going with the new mic.

You have to get a micro sd card, no more regular SD.

YOu HAVE TO use the special ipod cable (cd-iu50v) or whatever. This is not that simple apple composite cable. I have no idea if its proprietary or not, but i've never seen anything like it before. You will NOT get any sound if you simple use the regualr apple dock/usb connection cable for your computer or forget to plug the jack cable in. Good thing best buy had them, I forget to order it with the unit, didn't think I really needed it based on reviews out there for this cable, and other units that use it.

I will post a youtube video this week end, maybe sunday. I would say it was worth it, if your goign from an older unit, its a nice upgrade with lots of features for 2010. No show stopper bugs, unless the pandora thing doesnt pan out im going to be a bit upset.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you rate this unit against Z110BT! Better, Equivlant, or still Inferior?

So I received my x920bt yesterday and put it in.

My old unit was a f900bt with the 3.0 update

To sum it up im very happy with the improvements, they really took their time with this unit and the polish shows.

So far the pros with new unit:

Very responsive and fast

Works great with steering wheel controls PAC SWI ps

Much simpler cabling (optional usb cable, not hard attached) Only need a/v cables for bypass with the mute wire, in other words the ipod cable is seperate usb connection in the back, no rca connection for ipod)

Improved voice recognition

Ability to enter addresses by voice

IPod cataloging takes seconds

Active call bluetooth menu doesn't lock down the unit, you can push close.

Boot up time is 15 seconds!

Improved voice guidance

More detailed turn by turns directions (big screen comes up comign up to a turn that makes it a no brainer where they want you to go, even when its very complicated.

Radio information like radio station name shows up with normal fm.

mp3 dvd works wonderful.

The new screen layout is great, it shows so much more information without that dumb ipod wheel crap.

The transition effects is cool

Brought back the connection status information (shows gps status, pulse cable, parking brake, lllumination etc.)

defaults to ipod for av1 input, so no more select ipod in av menu crap)

selecting

I love the new button layout, no more stupid push button/wheel that barely worked,

having a dedicated voice control button is nice. Makes it a lot easier to use instead of the ok lets focus and push the button wheel im used to.

Now for the cons, so far:

User interface is so far pretty confusing a lot of things are tiny icons hidden around the screen in the ipod, going to playstlists etc. It is a 180 from the f900bt with igo. Guess you just have to get used to it

clock is in the upper right corner, and so far I haven't found how to change from real time in top, but when you touch you can vary time to destination, time of arrival etc.

I can't get pandora to work yet. I have an iphone 3gs with pandora, I followed instructions, information just doesn't get pushed into the unit. Its a blank screen with areas where the information should populate.

----------------

I simply grounded the parking break, without the mute wire change, so its giving me errors parking brake not set correctly. So ill have to do that it also knows when your moving so when you stop it all goes active. I wasn't sure how to bypass when I isntalled but it seems to be the same for z110bt

Overall it was a good upgrade. It will take some getting used to, but so far, except for the pandroa thing which im sure I will figure out, its great.

Essential I would say this is a cut down z series in a X/F chassis.

I am assuming no mods like with the x and f series prior. This is def not windows ce or igo. Explains the change in nav style, fast boot up time etc.

A few notes:

Cabling is completely different from X and F series units. It is the same as Z110bt.

GPS connection is IDENTICAL to F/S series so no need to swap that out

MIC connection is the same as well, but im going with the new mic.

You have to get a micro sd card, no more regular SD.

YOu HAVE TO use the special ipod cable iu50 or whatever. This is not that simple apple composite cable. I have no idea if its proprietary or not, but i've never seen anything like it before. You will NOT get any sound if you simple use the regualr apple dock/usb connection cable for your computer or forget to plug the jack cable in. Good thing best buy had them, I forget to order it with the unit, didn't think I really needed it based on reviews out there for this cable, and other units that use it.

I will post a youtube video this week end, maybe sunday. I would say it was worth it, if your goign from an older unit, its a nice upgrade with lots of features for 2010. No show stopper bugs, unless the pandora thing doesnt pan out im going to be a bit upset.

It is the same unit as the Z110BT except for the new AV UI additions. Or you could say it is exactly the same as the yet unreleased Z120BT which will be an upgrade for the 110 once it is released. So for now, sense it has features the 110 doesn't have, (even though the biggest one doesn't work yet) some might say this unit is better. However this is not an answer anyone can answer but you. A 110 with the 120 upgrade will be the best unit on paper.

Interesting. Any idea who makes the Navi software? Pioneer's homegrown or some known brand?

Its the same as the 110 so it is assumed it is Pioneers home grown. These units run Windows Automotive not the CE of the F/X series. The navi software in the Z is the biggest reason why I went back to the X series with iGo. Much more complete navi software then with the software in the Z or newer X series. And once you integrate the mods it just goes without saying.

Its the same as the 110 so it is assumed it is Pioneers home grown. These units run Windows Automotive not the CE of the F/X series. The navi software in the Z is the biggest reason why I went back to the X series with iGo. Much more complete navi software then with the software in the Z or newer X series. And once you integrate the mods it just goes without saying.

Thanks. What I thought... Although it is too bad that we don't get software and Navis they have in Japan and Korea...

I've been waiting for this unit. I started out wanting an P3200bt them made it up to the Z110BT. For some reason I like the button placement on the 3200 and the 920. Hope this turns out to be good and I can find one for a good price. I see what pioneers msrp is. Can you tip us off on a ballpark as to what you paid?

I paid 950 with overnight shipping. But this is day 1 release without all the competition. It's already at 875. So j guess 924 is what I paid. Prob should of waited bur I was planning on getting this when announces in Jan at ces.

Well I was planning on spending that on a 110 so that's not bad in my book. I'm guessing no rebate right?