AVIC411.com

There has always been hiss coming from my F700, even when the volume is at zero. At first I thought it might be the factory Monsoon amp. But I just replaced it with an aftermarket Eclipse amp, and it's even more noticeable now. (I assume it's the higher quality amp and speakers reproducing the AVIC's hiss that much better.) After a bit of searching here, I see it is a rather common problem.

With both the Monsoon and Eclipse, I have been using the Pioneer's speaker outputs into the main harness. (In the Monsoon's case, it is designed to take high-level signal. In the Eclipe's case, I'm using an LOC.) But, I was wondering if this hiss is coming from the Pioneer's relatively cheap amp section. And, if so, can I eliminate or reduce it by using the low-level pre-amp outputs instead? I've been trying to avoid running a line level cable from the HU to the amp in the back. But, I will if it gets rid of that annoying hiss.

So, has anybody reduced or eliminated the hiss by switching from the Pioneer's amp/speaker outputs to using the preamp outputs instead?

why would you waste the money on an eclipse amp if you just going to lose sound quality by using a LOC? you might as well just have gone to wall-mart and bought a dual or jensen amp,

yes the F's have a background noise that can not be done away with, i think it has somthing to do with the way the computer side of the unit interfaces with the sound processing side of the unit(poor parts or bad design, who knows)

It doesn't sound like a computer /software thing, as the hiss is there even when the volume is at zero. That tells me it is most likely in the HW, either the power amp or pre-amp sections. I was hoping that somebody who has used both the speaker outpuuts and the pre-amp outputs could post whether they noticed a difference or not.

As for the LOC, I think I made it clear why I used it, to avoid running add'l cables. And, the amp wasn't a waste of money using the LOC, as it sounds much better than with the factory Monsoon. (It was only $129, anyway.) Will it sound better using the HU's preamp output directly to the Eclipse? Definitely. Will the difference be enormous? Unless it gets rid of some or all of that hiss, probably not enough to run add'l cables.

So, has anybody used both outputs at some point, and noticed a difference in the amount of hiss between the two?

Thanks.

Thanks. But, are you sure about that? Have you done this yourself to correct the problem? Is it possible you are confusing the term "hiss" with "hum"? I can't imagine how grounding could get rid of hiss?

I often see people mix up audio noise terms like hiss, hum, static, and whine, which are usually caused by different things, and sound quite different from each other.

This is a high-end hiss, a soft whooshing sound like a breeze. It's identical to the background hiss on old cassette tapes. Except, in this case, it's there even when nothing is playing and the volume is at zero.

yeah i had this noise to after i moved my amps around. the pioneers have pico fuses inside the deck that will blow if there is ANY spike sent threw them. this happens when you unplug the rca's at the amp and reinstall them . the rca pin could breifly touch the shield on the amp and you wont even know it. after a lot of searching and buying some EXPENSIVE rca's (witch didnt work) i found the ground wire solution. it worked for me.drove me insane. lol james

try grounding the rca's that go to the amp. solder a wire on the shield of the rca plug and ground that to the deck. should make that hiss go away.

dude your not reading, HE IS NOT USING RCA's, there is no shield wire to ground, he is using speaker level outputs from the AVIC, so even if the RCA pico fuses where blown (which would be pretty difficult with nothing plugged into them) the internal amp is still sending out the noise, and OP, i didn't say that it was a computer/ software thing, i think its a problem with the way that the computer interfaces with the pre amp.

bottom line the noise is created before the amp, using a bigger more powerful amp (even off of the RCA's) will just amplify the noise even more.

It's obvious the noise is originating before the external amp. But, my original question was whether or not it is being created before the internal map. If not, and it's created in the amp itself, bypassing it should help.

As soon as I have the time, I guess I will just pull the HU and see if running a line level cable from the pre-outs to the amp gets rid of or reduces the hiss.

If fonjo's problem was due to blown pico fuses at the pre-out, then I guess that doesn't affect my situation. Although, it might when I switch to the pre-outs.

I think I'll throw out my question to all the users once again:

Has anybody who has used both the speaker outs and the preamp outs noticed any difference in the hiss that occurs while the volume is at zero or turned up with no signal present? Thanks.

ok then have you ever used the rca's from the deck before? i have ZERO noise coming from my system after i grounded the rca's. i have not used the high level output wires so i dont know if this is the reason for your problem. have you tried using the rca's to the amp yet? also have you ALWAYS had this noise?

I have never used the RCA preamp outs. But, I will pull the HU and try them to see if it helps. If the hiss is still there, I will then try your fix, and see if that helps. Hey. It worked for you.

I have been using the high-level speaker outputs with both the factory Monsoon amp and the new aftermarket amp. So, I am hoping that the problem is caused by the Pioneer amp section. I guess I'll see when I try the preamp outs.

ok then have you ever used the rca's from the deck before? i have ZERO noise coming from my system after i grounded the rca's. i have not used the high level output wires so i dont know if this is the reason for your problem. have you tried using the rca's to the amp yet? also have you ALWAYS had this noise?

yes i have a pair of two channels driving my speakers (with RCA cables of course) along with a switch box that reconfigures the system to run off of the AVIC's internal amp when the amps are turned off, the same noise is there either way, just louder with the external amps on

every F series i have ever seen or installed (well over 50 and half of them with amps) make this noise, i probably wouldn't have noticed it if i had not came from using an alpine and an eclipse which go 100% quiet when the volume is turned to zero, i have a hard time believing that you have the one and only F series that is 100% quiet in between songs expecially when listening to CD's

ok, listen to as the avic switches songs, you should hear a very faint hiss (kinda like static), its not like a buzz, hum or whine, just real faint static, a good quality receiver (audio quality) will be dead silent when turned up pretty loud for that second or two between songs. some times its hard to hear over the noise that the F-series itself makes due to the very loud cooling fan.

In my case, it's just standard hiss. It sounds like "ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss". And, it is audible not just between songs, but also when songs are paused, before music has even started playing during bootup, and/or when the volume is at zero. It does get louder if I crank the volume up. But, it is clearly audible at zero.