AVIC411.com

Is it possible to...

I got my X710BT installed -- FINALLY -- in my truck. Took the install kit a while to get here, but I'll have it finished up tonight and start with the Dynamat. There are a couple of things I want to do, though, if it's possible. I don't know how much control WinCE has over the audio hardware, but it seems I should be able to do this stuff.

First off, I want to change the "iPOD" designation for the AV1 input to something else. Neither I nor anyone else in the family use one, and I'd just like to change the text to read, for example, "HAM". I want to connect the audio from my ham radio transceiver to AV1 and call it that, not an iPod.

Second... is it possible to have AV1 or AV2 either mix with, or better yet mute and override the selected audio source? I like to keep said ham transceiver on while I'm on the road, but often will go for hours without hearing anything. I'd like to listen to music and still hear the VHF/UHF audio when it's there. I have a squelch signal from the rig I could use if needed

Just trying to get rid of one little external speaker foam-taped to the dash.

The short answer: it would not be easy, if at all possible.

You would need to have a program running on the windows side that could detect your squelch signal. In addition to that you would need a custom piece of hardware from your ham radio to the USB port on the x710 (for the squelch signal). If the program worked you may be able to switch between sources.

I have seen wiring kits that would let a person use extra buttons on there steering wheel for volume and channel, but nothing for what I described above. You would need to make the back end program, install it, and make the hardware...

I have seen some amazing hacks here but this one would take a while to do, if at all.

If you make headway I'm sure there would be others interested in the results.

Good luck.

The hardware is not a problem... at least I don't think it would be. I'll have to look and see if my favorite USB solution has drivers for WinCE on ARM... yup, drivers do exist.

So... the next question is, is there a documented API or some tribal knowledge regarding how to control the audio functions from Windows? Mute, switch inputs, etc? If I can find that and get a small app doing what I want it to, I'll see about hacking together some hardware. Rather than use the squelch signal, I'll probably just use an audio detector (think VOX) so it could be applied to other audio sources as well - like scanners, CB, radar detectors, whatever.

Hey, I saw some of your posts in the f series forum looking for documentation, I think your on the right track...

But I noticed a behavior of my x710bt when connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone: if I had a voice mail it would mute the current audio source and play the message then without input from me, it would return to the correct source after playing the voice mail.

Maybe you can set up a Bluetooth connection on your CB setup and have your radio assume it's a phone playing a voice mail...

No unique hardware

No software hacking

I will admit my knowledge is limited but I think the Bluetooth method would be cheaper and faster. There is a micro control board called an arduino and attachments for it that let it connect over Bluetooth, maybe something like that connected to your CB speaker (again idle thoughts...)

I'm sure glad I never listened to anyone who told me things weren't possible. I'd never have the job, house, toys or kids I've got now. :)

Obviously it's possible, given enough knowledge about the underlying programs present on the AVIC. The unit mutes and switches various audio sources all the time now, all under program control. So obviously there is a programmatic way to do it, we just haven't figured that way out yet.

As I noted in a post in the F hacks forum, reverse engineering Windows EXE files is a little out of my range right now - at least until I've got some time to figure out how to do it. Eventually I or someone else will get far enough into it to figure out and document the methods for doing what needs to be done.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm sure glad I never listened to anyone who told me things weren't possible. I'd never have the job, house, toys or kids I've got now. :)

Obviously it's possible, given enough knowledge about the underlying programs present on the AVIC. The unit mutes and switches various audio sources all the time now, all under program control. So obviously there is a programmatic way to do it, we just haven't figured that way out yet.

As I noted in a post in the F hacks forum, reverse engineering Windows EXE files is a little out of my range right now - at least until I've got some time to figure out how to do it. Eventually I or someone else will get far enough into it to figure out and document the methods for doing what needs to be done.

Well, you are welcome to try. I have gone through EVERY bit of coding in the APL folder and it is not present leaving it to be determined that the MAIN / AV scripting is hardcoded into the AVIC.