AVIC411.com

Crazy engine whine after 3.0 upgrade???

OK this really makes no sense to me and is a long shot.. but has anyone else had this happen?

I followed the 3.0 install guide and got 3.0 up and running, then did an upgrade to 3.02. Drove the car for 20 mins, parked it, went somewhere for a few hours, came back, and all of a sudden I have this horrible engine whine coming through the speakers.

I know that's a bad ground, but this deck has been installed for over a year and I never had this problem. Suddenly after the 3.0 upgrade, I have it out of the blue.

Has anyone else had this happen? Or is this just one big co-incidence? I tried grounding the deck to 3 other places: a grounding point for some factory electronics, a bare metal point under the dash, and directly to the battery using a jumper cable. All had the same problem. When I unplug the RCA's from the deck, the whine stops. Doesn't seem to be from the amp, rather the head unit.

Any suggestions? This is really weird..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

jackowen, you were right. It was indeed the RCA outputs. I grounded them to the head unit chassis also using some 18 gauge wiring and everything sounds great once again.

I looked into it some more and it doesn't have anything to do directly with the upgrade. Pioneer units have some stupid hair sized "pico" fuse on the motherboard of the unit that can blow if you don't have a proper ground for the chassis (supposedly in addition to the ground from the harness). If it blows, the unit then tries to ground out through the RCAs. To solve it, you either have to replace the fuse (sending it in for service or attempting to do it yourself) or attempt to do a workaround fix which is grounding the RCA shielding.

Here is a good thread on some civic forums that shows pictures of the solution (although the poster did a pretty bad hack job at it) and of the culprit if you want to attempt to solder in a new one yourself:

http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=75438