AVIC411.com

USB HDD, yes or no?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fighting with a USB HDD right now... Trying to figure out how to get it to read all my music... I put a folder labeled MUSIC on the HDD, and in that my structure is like this: Artist/Album/# Song Title.xxx. So far I can only get it to read the first 7 or 8 folders of artists and it takes like 2-3 minutes to do that and for USB drive to be available on the A/V selection screen....

Right now I'm trying to Organize it like Music/A/(all A artists) to see if it reads all the A-Z folders....

I'm fighting with a USB HDD right now... Trying to figure out how to get it to read all my music... I put a folder labeled MUSIC on the HDD, and in that my structure is like this: Artist/Album/# Song Title.xxx. So far I can only get it to read the first 7 or 8 folders of artists and it takes like 2-3 minutes to do that and for USB drive to be available on the A/V selection screen....

Right now I'm trying to Organize it like Music/A/(all A artists) to see if it reads all the A-Z folders....

The general consensus is that HDD music just isn't worth it, the folder and playback structure will always have you fighting it, as opposed to the ipod integration where you can easily find artist, album, and even use the voice recognition.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is this so hard for the stereo to figure out. Being a Windows OS on the stereo, why can't it be upgraded to make it read an HDD just like a normal PC? Also, since iPod's seem to work so well and w/o issues, is there a way to put whatever software an iPod has on it to make the HDD emulate the iPod and be able to use it through the USB? I'd love to be able to take my external HDD from my computer, throw it in the glovebox and have it run just like it does on my PC. There has to be a way, and I figured after all the years these AVIC units have been out that a solution would have been found by now.

• 4 weeks later...
Bump

What do you need bumped? the answers are there, HDD on the AVIC is a poor 2nd cousin to ipod integration, you can't pause music and resume, the folder structure is a mess, nothing has changed.

Ipods work because they build on the existing database and formats that already exist in the ipod, they don't need to reinvent the wheel, besides, they play video FAR better then the HDD since the AVIC does no decoding, it simply passes the signal. These units are built around ipod integration, not mass storage device integration.

• 2 weeks later...