AVIC411.com

• 2 weeks later...
I have the same issue. Apparently the X920BT requires the add-on MSN tuner ND-MDT10 to allow you to get MSN Direct.

..which totally blows. I saw that add-on part selling for $100!? Doesn't seem worth it for something that will be dead in 1 year.

D.

I have the same issue. Apparently the X920BT requires the add-on MSN tuner ND-MDT10 to allow you to get MSN Direct.

..which totally blows. I saw that add-on part selling for $100!? Doesn't seem worth it for something that will be dead in 1 year.

D.

Agreed! I think however there will be alternatives offered for traffic once MSN is gone. But yea kinda sux they couldn't just build in the MSN tuner like they did in the x910!

Yep, it's just like the Z110BT and the new Z120BT in this regard - you need the tuner. You can find them online now for around $60-80 if you look.

With the end-of-life announced, you can now buy a subscription for $30 that will run until Jan 2012 when they shut it down. Not a bad deal really, considering that even with the price of the tuner factored in you would have paid nearly as much for that amount of time anyway before the shutdown announcement. It's one of those deals that's gonna get less attractive the closer we get to 2012 so if you want it I'd get it now.

I don't mind them not including it in the unit - one more thing to break, and just like with Satellite radio tuners people who don't want the subscription don't have to pay for the hardware, even indirectly. I'm still holding out hope that they'll release an updated HD Radio tuner that supports HD Radio traffic (which is free, and at least in my area is pretty decent) but I suspect we're going to have to be a lot closer to the MSN service shutdown to hear about any alternatives.

In the meantime, if you live in a supported city, getting the tuner plus 18 months of service for around $100 isn't a bad deal, MSN traffic isn't half-bad, especially on the newer Pioneer units like this one.

• 1 month later...

Agreed! I think however there will be alternatives offered for traffic once MSN is gone. But yea kinda sux they couldn't just build in the MSN tuner like they did in the x910!

Really???

I'm not sure...my fear is that Pioneer will simply use this as a reason to sell us all completely NEW $1000 head units once MSN goes away....they certainly haven't gone out of their way to give new customers a warm fuzzy that they have a replacement option in mind.

Unless Pioneer comes out with a statement that they are even considering a replacement option or accessory (FM, HD, TDS, Navteq online, whatever) It's very hard to see why any new customer would want to purchase the current line of Pioneer AVIC units...the Kenwoods rely on proven traffic technology that's going to be around for a while because it's the same services that Garmin and others use....