AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 installation in a 06 Civic LX

Thanks, kaoskube. those pics look pretty sweet. I've done some reading on the various forums and it looks like the installation is not trivial. since it would involve taking the factory dash out and putting a third party fitting in. can you tell me a list of tools and accessories that would help me in the install?

It's a straight-forward install, if you are a bit handy. You'll need crimpers, crimp connectors, a panel removal tool or wide flat-head screwdriver, phillips-head screwdriver, 8 and 10 mm wrenches and sockets with a ratchet, maybe a razor knife and file to trim the kit a little, a multimeter, and a six-pack. The canine helper is optional. http://www.metraonline.com/product_list ... c&type=ALL You'll need a 70-1722 and a 99-7871, both from Metra.

you have to pull the dash panel from under the driver seat. then remove a couple screws that hold the instrument cluster panel in place (along with vent on left and right side) of steering wheel. then pull the bezel out and that gets you to the radio. be careful not to scratch the dash with the panel, it can be done very easily if your not careful

I'm actually thinking about getting a new car in the next 2 months which is why i've been doing research. do you know if the kit from metra fits into the new civics from 2007? and also if places like best buy or circuit city can install something like this if i decide not to be adventurous. i dont mind spending a little money to get it done right but i'm not sure if going to a local installer i'd be ripped off. thanks again for all the helpful hints.

• 1 month later...

I am about to do the install in my civic si, just cant deside to wait for the Z2 or get the Z1 now, but anyway...from my reseach a lot of people say dont waste your money on the metra or other aftermarket kits.

The plate from the dealer is about the same in cost and seeing as its honda's part there is no problem with fit or color match. You can get it here for $32 plus .99 for each bracket! Here is one place i found on civicsi.com

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/aut ... ER+SIDE%29

Hope this helps.

Hey all, its been a while but I just got my new civic last week. looking around for a good deal on the Z1 anyone seen it for a good price? for the installation, i've been quoted at a local installer ~$120 and best buy ~$200. does that sound like a good deal? my intension is to wait a few month for the z2 to come out to see if the z1 drop in price. but if there's a good deal now i'd probably bite the bullet since the z1 and z2 doesnt appear to be all too different.