AVIC411.com

Another F-350 question

Mysterious Issue: The backup camera not engaging properly when truck put into reverse. It does not go on until you take take the vehicle OUT of reverse and go back into park. Also, when you start the vehicle in park, the camera is on.

I connected the reverse sensing wire from the AVIC-Z1 harness into a wire that went + when the car was put into reverse. It was the same color code as the wires at the tail light reverse bulb. I tapped from the wire coming out the back of the Reverseing lamps relay behind the central junction box (AKA - drivers side dash fuse box). Prior to tapping, I tested the wire for proper operation and it indeed went + when the vehicle was shifted into reverse.

I'de be very grateful for your help on this. I'll be opening the dash again in the next day or 2 to install the new steering wheel interface so I could do more tracing (fixing hopefully) then.

Joe

Try checking the camera setting. The directions ripped right out of the manual. Specifically the polarity.

1 Touch [Camera Input] in the System Settings

menu.

2 Touch [On] to turn rear view camera setting

on.

❒ Unless this setting is [On], you cannot

switch to Rear View mode.

3 Touch [Polarity] to select an appropriate

setting for polarity.

Each time you touch [Polarity] switches

between the following polarity:

• Battery — When the polarity of the connected

lead is positive while the shift lever

is in the REVERSE ® position

• GND — When the polarity of the connected

lead is negative while the shift lever is in the

REVERSE ® position

It was an RTFM problem all along - the polarity setting fixed the issue.

I don't know if its me but I find the instructions in the manual for this unit a bit obtuse and confusing. I know its a complex piece of technology with many features and options, but, WHERE is a simple menu tree?

joe