AVIC411.com

Question about wiring rear view camera power supply

I just installed a Audiovox ACA200 rear view camera with my Avic-x910BT stereo. The instructions for the camera said to attach the power wire to the reverse light wire, therefore the camera only turns on when I shift into reverse. So when I try to activate the camera via the head unit while I'm driving forward the camera doesn't turn on. If I wire the camera to a constant power supply instead of the reverse lights the camera would be powered anytime the ignition is on. Would this be ok or could this cause damage to the camera over time?

• 9 months later...

I just installed a Audiovox ACA200 rear view camera with my Avic-x910BT stereo. The instructions for the camera said to attach the power wire to the reverse light wire, therefore the camera only turns on when I shift into reverse. So when I try to activate the camera via the head unit while I'm driving forward the camera doesn't turn on. If I wire the camera to a constant power supply instead of the reverse lights the camera would be powered anytime the ignition is on. Would this be ok or could this cause damage to the camera over time?

You could also wire it to a switch AND the reverse light. That way it will automatically turn on when in reverse, plus you can just switch it on anytime. You'd want to install a one-way resistor to the power tap from the reverse light so when you activate the switch it won't turn on that reverse lamp. I am about to install a backup cam to my F700bt and plan to wire this way.