AVIC411.com

Android OS hacked onto avic series indash's?

Well iPad's in cars are old news now, so this challenge goes out to all the Pioneer Hackers out there. First one to successfully run Google's Android OS on a pioneer Avic wins!!

When you have a video up go to my website and Email me.

if this get enough support this will be nuts! What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

Outside of the box thinking...I don't see the problem. It's things like this that brings about the change that makes as advance as people in general. It seems like this board is full of not possible and no-wayers...oh well.

It's game over when this happens. Windows CE is awful compared to Android, and as a plus, Android is built from the ground up with network, GPS, bluetooth, and audio integration. Google Maps Navigation has come a long way and is really nice on my Evo. Can't see why it wouldn't make a great interface when built into the dash. The OS and all of this "stuff" also run very efficiently on a low power ARM core.

Basically, my Evo does everything that my F700-BT does (one in each car installed, too, I'm not a troll). It's just currently in the wrong package/form factor.

An Android-powered unit that possibly tethers to another Android device (phone) for live traffic on top of the cached maps, POI searches, streaming radio, etc. sounds nice to me. I'm not sure why a company like Pioneer doesn't get in this game. The OS is free, and Google is willing to throw in Maps. I'm sure some licensing can be worked out to cache the maps, which realistically, an in-dash device needs since you can't assume constant connectivity.

An Android-powered unit that possibly tethers to another Android device (phone) for live traffic on top of the cached maps, POI searches, streaming radio, etc. sounds nice to me.

Well at least we can all dream.

There's nothing technologically challenging about doing something like this. It's already there in most android handsets on the market. It will certainly be costly - look at the unsubsidized price of something like an Evo, and then add a larger screen to it - but not challenging for any decent size company to work out.

A T-Shirt???? really??? He could at least bust up an amp or even a Avic.....

Why put it on an Avic anyways... Just use the actual phone... write some touchscreen input apps, and use a video out cable of some sort to any 7" touchscreen...

This guy figured a wayto cram a Mac Mini in his....

Guest x5james
Basically, my Evo does everything that my F700-BT does. It's just currently in the wrong package/form factor.

An Android-powered unit that possibly tethers to another Android device (phone) for live traffic on top of the cached maps, POI searches, streaming radio, etc. sounds nice to me. I'm not sure why a company like Pioneer doesn't get in this game. The OS is free, and Google is willing to throw in Maps. I'm sure some licensing can be worked out to cache the maps, which realistically, an in-dash device needs since you can't assume constant connectivity.

I was thinkin the thing. Using Google Navigation on my rooted Moment is so much easier and quicker than even using the stereo in the car. Maybe one day....

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic however it's a pretty good idea.

Unfortunately the software skills required to do it would be pretty advanced and would likely require quite a bit of time which most people don't have.

I propose an alternate possibility.

Many of the newer Android devices are coming equipped with HDMI outputs. For example the Droid X & HTC Evo both support HDMI out. Unfortunately, there appears to be some disconnect in the software support of what can be outputted onto a screen however this is a big complaint amount android users and will likely be worked around in the near future. (based upon android forums i've read).

HDMI to Composite converter - http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-compo ... apter.html - this one is expensive however I'm sure a good google search can find you something cheaper.

I've used similar products in the past to convert BNC to Composite, hardware converters work OK but there is some loss in quality.

While this would not be a 100% solution it is a good idea for a work around in the sense that it could potentially at least have your AVIC screen mirror whatever your phone is outputting. This would work very well for something like, say, slingplayer or other video streaming. It would also be functional for using google maps and other android apps. The downside is you'd still be interacting with everything through the phone rather than touch screen on the AVIC.

I don't think it would be very easy to have the AVIC send the screen touch commands to the phone (using USB) however if you could, this would solve the problem...

As soon as the HDMI output issue is solved I plan to get a converter and actively try experimenting with this. At the moment all you can do is watch recorded videos / youtube / few other things so it's kinda not worth it.

mclovin

I can use the 3.5mm headphone jack on my Epic as a video output to RCA's, but I still don't see where the inputs are for AV2. It gives me a warning saying to not watch video, but I don't even see where the RCA's are...I just use that input for the front 3.5mm headphone jack for when I'm streaming music.