AVIC411.com

Need guidance on X910BT operating system

I installed an X910BT about 2 weeks ago and was not pleased with the maps. I joined this forum to glean information about the unit and after a few days I returned it for another one and it appears the maps are the same quality so I guess it's the nature of the beast. This is my first "in dash" unit, all others were portable and had varying degrees of map quality - all of which were better than the Pioneer.

So, at the risk of getting flamed by forum snobs, I’m trying to find out if there is a single general reference source, be it here on the forum or in written format (book or electronic-i.e. “AVIC For Dummies”) that explains the functionality of systems such as the AVIC head units outlining the Windows interface, navigation, file setup, etc. I’m fairly computer savvy but find it hard as hell to compile a decent understanding of how these Nav-CD head units work by browsing this and other forums. I usually end up back where I started.

I want to modify how the maps look and have seen some interesting posts showing what others have done and link to their approach. However, I’m cautious enough to not want to “brick” the unit since it’s only a few weeks old. Terms like Ezrider, IGO8 and such are a different language for me. Searching out this forum is like pulling teeth, it’s not very noob friendly. So, with that said, is there a source of information available anywhere I could use?