AVIC411.com

My review of the new AVIC-X920BT

Ok. I recently had the AVIC-X920BT installed. Awesome. For anyone interested, I also got the rear camera, Bluetooth, Sirius, hands-free, USB and steering wheel control added.

First, this head unit will allow you to adjust the colour of the buttons to match ANY vehicle interior. The NAV system works well but it is slightly different than my current portable Garmin GPS. It only does "text to speech" if you are on major highways (announcing names of roads instead of just saying "in 100ft, turn right). But this Nav display provides much more information on screen and has better picture detail when you approach your turns using a "zoom" feature with a shrinking distance bar on the left so it's really hard to miss a turn.

Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that you can have the text to speech to say street names as well. You have to go into the Navi settings, select the voice option and then select the US English (Samantha) voice that says TTS. Then it will begin to say the names of the roads. Enjoy!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I recently had the AVIC-X920BT installed. Awesome. For anyone interested, I also got the rear camera, Bluetooth, Sirius, hands-free, USB and steering wheel control added.

First, this head unit will allow you to adjust the colour of the buttons to match ANY vehicle interior. The NAV system works well but it is slightly different than my current portable Garmin GPS. It only does "text to speech" if you are on major highways (announcing names of roads instead of just saying "in 100ft, turn right). But this Nav display provides much more information on screen and has better picture detail when you approach your turns using a "zoom" feature with a shrinking distance bar on the left so it's really hard to miss a turn.

Hey man, I just wanted to let you know that you can have the text to speech to say street names as well. You have to go into the Navi settings, select the voice option and then select the US English (Samantha) voice that says TTS. Then it will begin to say the names of the roads. Enjoy!!!

Thanks Man.

I tried it and it seems to announce more street names (not all though). But did you notice that this voice is choppy and "garbbly" ...just like the VR voice?

D.

It is. The TTS voice on these is atrocious, the "regular" nav voice you sometimes hear is a pre-recorded one.

Honestly as much as I like my x920bt I'd have to say that if voice control and Nav features are your first priorities you should buy a Kenwood instead. Not this units strong suit, at all.

• 3 weeks later...
...Honestly as much as I like my x920bt I'd have to say that if voice control and Nav features are your first priorities you should buy a Kenwood instead. Not this units strong suit, at all.

LOL...why would "Nav features" be a priority for a Nav unit?? That's just crazy...hahaha

Just had this unit installed in my 2010 STI. A league of difference between this and my F700BT that was in there before hand.

Biggest upgrades:

1.) 920BT is much faster to boot, and much more responsive afterwards. Switching from NAV to iPod and back again doesn't "redraw" the map like it did on my F700BT.

2.) No more high-pitched sound from the unit when on a phone call like with the F700BT.

3.) Ability to still go into iPod/Map etc when on a call

4.) Better sound quality from the X920BT. It just sounds cleaner, for sure.

5.) Pandora interface is excellent. Works flawlessly with my 3GS

6.) Hopefully no more "occasionally not detecting my iPod nano" with the X920BT. No problems so far!

7.) The close-up on the NAV works well, but not if the road are labeled incorrectly. Then it's just confusing. For example, going south on 405 and wanting to go toward Seattle, the x920BT, just like the F700BT before it, shows the wrong directions close up, so if you're not familiar with where you are, you're going to end up going to Spokane (90E) instead of Seattle (90W). No idea why this wasn't fixed.

8.) Much cleaner-looking unit than the F700BT. Integrates better into my car.

9.) Touch-scrolling menus are fun.

Overall, a greatly superior unit to the F700BT, and I did the bypass as well. Took just a minute and everything is accessible. I'm so glad to be rid of the F700BT. CONSTANT issues. Audio cutting out, screens dying, BT software deleting itself constantly. I went through FOUR F700BTs. Ridiculous...

Anyway, I hope to enjoy the X920BT for a few years.

Things I hope I can change:

1.) Being able to see road names more easily. The F700BT was nice in that respect, because you could see all the roads around you in 3D mode. I don't seem to be able to see too many on the x920BT.

2.) How do you get rid of the red line that extends out of your arrow?

Anyway, keep nav-ing!

7.) The close-up on the NAV works well, but not if the road are labeled incorrectly. Then it's just confusing. For example, going south on 405 and wanting to go toward Seattle, the x920BT, just like the F700BT before it, shows the wrong directions close up, so if you're not familiar with where you are, you're going to end up going to Spokane (90E) instead of Seattle (90W). No idea why this wasn't fixed.

That must be something unique to your area. I never saw anything like that with my 110.

2.) How do you get rid of the red line that extends out of your arrow?

You don't. Its there to stay.

What are the differences in the 920 and the z110bt?

Here are the two biggest differences..One of which is upgradeable

1) The screen size and hardware controls...The 920 is a smaller screensize (6.1") vs. the fullscreen of the Z110BT (7")..Hardware controls (Left Side of 920) are non-existent in the 110BT (Full Touch Screen) although there is a lower hardware control bar at the bottom of the (110BT). Also the screen on the 920 is fixed whereas the 110BT is motorized and tilts. (CD/DVD & SD Card slots on the 110BT are hidden behind the screen)

2) The 110BT, if you run it stock now has an older software package than the 920BT. The biggest differences are in the iPod, AM/FM, and XM interfaces (ie., touch/slide menu features). Also, the 110BT does not feature the Pandora interface. HOWEVER...All of this is upgradeable on the 110BT with a software update which can be purchased through Pioneer which essentially makes your 110BT a 120BT...

There are probably some other differences that I forgot to highlight, but I believe I covered the biggest two...

VBLUE42 realized that I was a retard and caught the fact that I put 920BT as not featuring the Pandora interface.. :oops: ...Fixed!! You will all please have to excuse me..The short bus just pulled up out front..I need to go...

Peace ~ HFoM

• 4 months later...

not sure if anybody here uses divx movies, but that is the main reason i got the 120bt instead of the kenwood, if you have movies and music in a dvd you can touch the cd and it will play music when you touch the cd again it will look for movies and you can toch the middle screen and touch list and this will list all the movies in your dvd, for divx you can put 3-4 movies in 1 disc. for some reason the same divx will not play in sd card.. just got my 120bt a week ago and im still playing with it.

i have it installed on 2010 cx-9, crutchfield said it will not fit but with a metra kit it fits perfectly

post-46155-065959500 1289566912_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

1.) Being able to see road names more easily. The F700BT was nice in that respect, because you could see all the roads around you in 3D mode. I don't seem to be able to see too many on the x920BT.

hey guys. New to the board. lots of great info here holy cow. glad i found this site.

I just got this unit installed over the weekend in my 2008 4Runner and ive had similar issues as quoted. is there a way to have the map display more info? mainly more street names. i find in either 2D or 3D mode it does not show a lot of the street names, even major intersections youre crossing. 3D mode is much worse and has less detail but looks better on the screen. i came from the factory tomtom unit and even that little thing listed all of the street detail/names as you were passing them. even side streets so i figured one that was more advanced would have this?

• 3 weeks later...