AVIC411.com

2005 Lincoln Aviator Wiring -- Please HELP!

I’ve taken a long-winding trip through google.com (along with hundreds of pages and countless hours digging through installer forums) in order to find the information I’m looking for, so I’m hoping you can shed some light for me on this subject.

I recently purchased a 2005 Lincoln Aviator. The Aviator is equipped with both the RSE and the THX-certified Navigation HU. I bought the vehicle somewhat contingent on the fact that I would be able to switch out the Navigation Unit with a AVIC-Z110BT, along with retaining the RSE and THX-amplified system. I have to say that while I’ve become pretty knowledgeable on the subject, I know little about actual installs and am wholly uncomfortable with taking apart the dash and messing with wiring myself.

I took the vehicle to a local, reputable installer. They told me that the part I would need was made by PIE, the “DVD Keeper” FRD03-DVD. However, that part has a caveat; the DVD must power up when applying 12V to pin 6 on the harness leading back to the DVD player. Apparently, they attempted to do that today, and it did not work. There was a green/black wire at pin 6, but no ground at pin 3. I didn’t see this for myself, but that’s what they told me.

I did further research today and came upon an article which stated that the 2004-2005 Aviators are equipped with the msCAN interface. If this is true, wouldn’t PAC’s C2R-FRD1 (also sold as the Peripheral Electronics FORDAH) work with my vehicle? I called them to ask, but they were under the impression that a 2005 Aviator was not equipped with MSCAN so they told me it would not work. However, based upon what I read—it seems like it’s the exact part for my system. I’m just not getting anyone to agree with me here.

Will I be able to swap out my Navigation Unit in my 2005 Aviator and retain my THX-amp and RSE (using one of the aftermarket parts)? If so, will the PAC-AUDIO C2R-FRD1 do the trick for me or is there another piece I should be looking at? The Aviator's wiring seems to be very unique, and I'm just looking to get an aftermarket HU to work with the RSE and THX Amps.

If anyone can help me here (even to tell me I’m out of luck), I’d be very grateful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2005 Navigator, and I learned there may not be anything on the market that is a direct plug in. If you have the same setup as my Navi, then you need a kit that has RCA connects for every speaker into the factory amp. The kit you posted has RCA's, but they are for the RSE. It doesn't nothing to allow you to connect the output to the factory amp. Looks like I won't get this installed anytime soon.

• 2 months later...

Have you figured anything different out? I have a '05 Aviator as well and have heard very disheartening things. One installer said I needed to get a different car and another said the only way he knew to do it was to gut the system and install new amps, RSE, etc, that would work with the aftermarket directly. There are some wiring harnesses that I have found but the connections in the rear of the factory head unit arent complete or slightly off. I have been able to find a wiring diagram for the THX system (not toally sure its the right one). My best guess is to find an installer that can direct wire into the factory wiring w/o a harness. But will still need something that powers the amps properly and links in the RSE. Anything new to offer?

• 1 year later...