AVIC411.com

Avic crashes and reboots when playing iPod Classic

I just found out about this site and I'm still a newbie, but I just wanted to share a solution to a problem I've been having with my Pioneer Avic x910BT and my iPod Classic 6th gen 120GB.

I recently installed a Pioneer Avic x910BT in my Mitsubishi Evo X using a Metra Mito-02 harness. I connected the Apple iPod composite AV cable to the Mito-02 so that I can play videos as well as music off my iPod classic. (I chose the Apple cables over the Pioneer cables because I read that they were higher quality, and they do not cost much extra.) Music and video played very clearly through my car stereo, but I was having some problems with my Pioneer unit randomly crashing and rebooting while playing music off my iPod. After rebooting it would refuse to recognize my iPod until I rebooted my iPod and reconnected it. I had the same exact music library on my iPhone 3GS and the Avic would not have any problems when I used my iPhone to play music.

After testing what would make my Pioneer unit crash, I began to realize that it would usually crash when playing Dean Martin. At first I was confused as to why my Pioneer hated Dean Martin, but after checking my iTunes library, I realized that I had duplicates of about 60 songs, and many of them were Dean Martin songs. (BTW I have no idea why iTunes created duplicates of some songs, because I certainly didn't.) Anyway, I deleted every duplicate song, and just to be safe I renamed some songs that had the same titles but were from different albums or artists, and now my Pioneer and my iPod play very nicely.

Summary

Having duplicate songs or song titles on your iPod classic may cause your Pioneer unit to crash and reboot constantly. Delete or rename duplicates to avoid this problem.

Hope this helps someone! :D