AVIC411.com

What Are Your Thoughts On Chinese Made Products?

This is being created from threads that were off topic in another forum. I wanted to move this subject to the appropriate forum and give others an opportunity to chime in.

I hate putting EBay links into posts because they go dead after a few months - but here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT .

A better way may be to just tell people to do an EBay search for Camry camera 09 (or whatever).

As far as quality goes, any camera you buy is going to be made in China (OK maybe Korea too) - and likely most cameras come from one assembly house - then are either branded, or left OEM. These are CMOS, and waterpproof - that leaves pretty little to go wrong. Most of these guys have a 99+% feedback (you don't get that when you sell cr#p).

I will say this blows away the cam in our Lexus. It's also much cheaper than anything I've seen in the US (by a LONG shot), and has those 'digital lines' that really help when parking. I was going to install bumper sensors (which means pulling the bumper cover off, drilling holes etc) - but with this, I'm not going that route.

Well, there is a big difference in a quality American company having their product made in China and a Chinese counterfeiting company making absolutely crapy products. When you buy a bulk, cheap item on ebay, it is made in China by a company that has no name. The product you purchase has absolutely no quality standard what so ever. An American, European, or Japanese company that has their products assemble or manufactured in China will hold that manufacturing facility to some level of quality standard. That is the difference. These CMOS cameras usually don't last more then about 90 days to six months. That is beyond the time frame at which a person can complain to an ebay merchant that the 37 dollars they spent was a waste of money because the product no longer works. My guess is you will have problems with this camera within six months. Nevertheless, this is probably the best CMOS camera I've seen. How does it look at night?

"China and a Chinese counterfeiting company making absolutely crapy products."

??? How is this a "counterfeiting" company - do you have some knowledge? Maybe you mean OEM - meaning they make/MFG/design direct replacement parts??? Not sure what that means... I know I buy my OEM batteries (iphone etc) from China - because you can buy newer technology (read longer lasting, higher capacity) cells - again not counterfeit - OEM.

"These CMOS cameras usually don't last more then about 90 days to six months."

Please show me any kind of backing for this statement - anything at all.

"The product you purchase has absolutely no quality standard what so ever."

Please show me any kind of backing for this statement - anything at all. There are very very few factories running large volume products that are not ISO certified. I have extensive direct experience manufacturing in China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. If you are a factory with any volume - heck even a small tiny factory - you lose gobs of business by not being ISO certified. I haven't talked to a non-ISO factory in 20 yrs. It is a fact - to do business these days in China, you must have a good audit-able quality program in place. In addition, you must advertize that fact (via website etc).

"That is beyond the time frame at which a person can complain to an ebay merchant that the 37 dollars "

If you have a poor design or poorly MFG product, you will see the failure typically within the first 2 weeks (infant mortality of electronics - Google it).

Maybe we got off poorly on the other thread - but this one is just chock full of misinformation at best. I feel like I'm reading caraudio.com

I bought a wireless rearview camera and monitor from one of these chinese manufacturers for $150. It worked for less than a year. The big issue is that to replace it, I will have to open up the backdoor of my SUV again which is like half a day's work

We have 4 people on Priuschat who went wireless (those from the US), I think only one left it in due to poor reception/performance.

From everything I've read, I would stay well away form wireless...

As an addition to the thread - the cameras (at least this one) is designed to ip67 - meaning it is capable of running full time immersed in 1 meter of water (not that many of us will need to do that).

First of all this wasn't a stab at you. Just the warning I give everyone about purchasing cheap goods on ebay that are manufactured in China.

"

"China and a Chines counterfeiting company making absolutely crapy products."

??? How is this a "counterfeiting" company - do you have some knowledge? Maybe you mean OEM - meaning they make/MFG/design direct replacement parts??? Not sure what that means... I know I buy my OEM batteries (iphone etc) from China - because you can buy newer technology (read longer lasting, higher capacity) cells - again not counterfeit - OEM.

Well what I was trying to convey is that about 90% of the worlds counterfeit product is counterfitted in China. Quite a few "name brand" and OEM ebay products are actually counterfeit coming put of China. But are you really disputing this claim or the quality about Chinese made product? If so, you have got to be the first person I have ever seen to defend a products quality that was made in China. Even Apple products, who make probably the best products in the world right now, has had the quality of there products suffer enormously sense they started having their products manufactured and assembled in China. And you can bet your ass Apple holds their manufactures and suppliers to a pretty high standard.

The key to remember here is if it has no brand name, or the brand name is not immediately apparent, its likely shitty product made by a bulk Chinese manufacture that probably makes many and counterfeits many different products from sex toys to car engine parts.

I have about four or five that ended up this way.

Please show me any kind of backing for this statement - anything at all. There are very very few factories running large volume products that are not ISO certified. I have extensive direct experience manufacturing in China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. If you are a factory with any volume - heck even a small tiny factory - you lose gobs of business by not being ISO certified. I haven't talked to a non-ISO factory in 20 yrs. It is a fact - to do business these days in China, you must have a good audit-able quality program in place. In addition, you must advertize that fact (via website etc).

That ISO standard that these Chinese companies claim means squat. Do you really think these ebay merchants care to verify that their Chinese supplier is ISO certified.

"That is beyond the time frame at which a person can compliant to an ebay merchant that the 37 dollars "

If you have a poor design or poorly MFG product, you will see the failure typically within the first 2 weeks (infant mortality of electronics - Google it).

No they will usually last a little longer then that . So it means nothing if the hundreds of people that had there products take a dump cant reflect their results in ebay's feedback policy because the time frame to do so is expired.

Maybe we got off poorly on the other thread - but this one is just chock full of misinformation at best. I feel like I'm reading caraudio.com

Well if we did I wasn't aware of it. If so my apologies.

Isn't everything made in China nowadays?

Yes but as I was saying, there is a world of difference between Apple having their products made in China and a cheap, no name brand CMOS camera made in China. The difference being there is a quality standard held from the American or European company that has their products made in China as opposed to the No brand product. A perfect example is the BOYO camera I have had for three plus years that was made in China.

I hate putting EBay links into posts because they go dead after a few months - but here it is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT .

Looking at the picture of the camera on the ebay auction, there is clearly cheap looking imperfections around the camera lens. This just screams cheap crap. Maybe its just the one they used for the picture but that alone coupled with my experience with Chinese made product would steer me away from buying this thing.

I was going to help a friend install a cheap backup camera he got for free, but the quality of the wiring was so bad, I convinced him not to. They were running the power through some like 20-30 gauge wire, I was afraid of it shorting out or worse. It wasn't this exact camera, but it was similar.

Edit - putting quotes in - but not going the extra mile to highlight - removing GE..

VB:"Well what I was trying to convey is that about 90% of the worlds counterfeit product is counterfitted in China. Quite a few "name brand" and OEM ebay products are actually counterfeit coming put of China. But are you really disputing this claim or the quality about Chinese made product? If so, you have got to be the first person I have ever seen to defend a products quality that was made in China. Even Apple products, "

rrolff: And the answer is - Yes. It's a funny caraudio.com thread to ask what people think - and the standard response is it sucks.

In general, there are many quality products out there - and many substandard products. When you purchase an OEM product, as a rule (I have gobs of experience here - if you wish to question it, please go ahead) products are made in ISO factories (please try to list one - one factory that sells a *real* OEM - LED diode / radio / amp - we can go on - that is not ISO approved - your statement shows you either have never dealt with Asian MFG plants, or are making random caraudio statements.

VB "The key to remember here is if it has no brand name, or the brand name is not immediately apparent, its likely shitty product made by a bulk Chinese manufacture that probably makes many and counterfeits many different products from sex toys to car engine parts."

rrolff: This shows you have now moved from any improvised random statement

Please sh*tty??? S*x toys??? That is your argument???

I would love to hear your experience/age??? Not trying to denigrate your comments - but they are what *you* wrote. This will also probably get deleted, as for some reason anything that is clear and defined - and may possibly benefit others is now getting censored.

Again - these are YOUR words.

I stand on everything I say - and if wrong, I quickly admit that - then change the response. To argue just to argue show maturity.

VB: "I have about four or five that ended up this way."

rrolff: *You have* four of these cameras - all died within 90 days to 120??? Really????????? Again - your words - I'll let others read them. That is an amazing coincidence - can you please let us know who and how they all failed in that short window?

VB: "That ISO standard that these Chinese companies claim means squat. Do you really think these ebay merchants care to verify that their Chinese supplier is ISO certified."

rrolff: You have no MFG experience - unless you post something (like above) otherwise - so please post how you "got" this experience. I have 25 years working in and with Asian MFG. I can site examples - good and bad from ISO and otherwise. I know what ISO means (note there are many ISO specs - and I am not detailing one from another here).

"That is beyond the time frame at which a person can compliant to an ebay merchant that the 37 dollars "

VB: "No they will usually last a little longer then that . So it means nothing if the hundreds of people that had there products take a dump cant reflect their results in ebay's feedback policy because the time frame to do so is expired."

rrolff: I'd love to hear your number backed up by *anything* - again - *ANYTHING* - when you state a number like *hundreds (meaning in context 300+)* please just post anything to back this up.

VB: "Well if we did I wasn't aware of it. If so my apologies.

rrolff: my apologies also for being abrupt (and this is where the apology goes out the window - but still is meant) - the topic seems to tell a tail of statements that come with no background, and are clearly not though out.

You have gobs of experience - and I truly appreciate that. I hope this moves forward in the vein it was intended...