AVIC411.com

Video file playback from USB/SD on X920BT

Like I posted above, I have success with AAC audio @ 192 kbps, MP4 video at 640 kbps, screen size at 720x404, perfect for DVD to MP4 conversion, somewhat smaller than 640x480 but it keeps the original aspect ratio of the DVD.

With this setting, Avatar DVD yields a size of around 900 MB for 2h41m of movie.

And like I posted above, this doesn't work on an X920BT.

-Aox

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having an extremely difficult time getting anything to play through my SD Card Slot.

I have the x910BT, can anyone confirm whether the above information is also valid for the x910BT?

I think we need a Video Playability Sticky somewhere on these forums. This is the worst forum search engine I've ever encountered. Finding anything here has proven extremely difficult.

Ahh, I may not have been clear, I actually meant actual file size, not bitrate in my previous post.

All my successes so far have been at 750 bitrate, like yours. I tried encoding the Saving Private Ryan again, with bigger, but still sub 1gig file sizes, and got failure, but my bitrate was 1300.

Before I left work yesterday, I set up an encode for a sub 1gig file size, and a 1000kb/s bitrate, so I'll try that on my first break and see what results I get.

I was just going to be accept what I had and be happy, but no, my OCD nerdbrain has to know exactly what file size is too big and what bitrate is too high, according to the actual unit XD

-Aox

when you're talking about a max file size playing on the X920, is that ONLY from an SD card - aka if you put a 2gig Divx file on a DVD disc, would that play?

I did a similar fight today. Note: I used the x910bt for these tests. the z110bt should be the same.

I also wanted to mention that these specs might be different for the 120's because of the processor speed (This is why I'm going to the 120), it seems like the engine used for decompressing the USB/SD is much slower than the internal CD/DVD drive. I'll run the same tests on the z120bt when i get it next week :D

USB / SD Media

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 320x240 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps (does not fill screen)

Choppy - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 791kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Choppy - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 995kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 1500kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Smooth - mp4 - MPEG4 - 320x240 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps (does not fill screen)

Choppy - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 791kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Choppy - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 995kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 1500kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - mkv - H.264 - 640x480 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

so the only way to get smooth playback from an SD card is to NOT fill the tiny screen?

LOL. Certainly there MUST be a solution to this SD Card problem. Pioneer is going to be guilty of false advertisement soon if this doesn't get sorted out.

Believe it or not, the ability to play AVI or MPEG-4 Files from SD Card was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the Pioneer unit. (I've been a hardcore Kenwood guy for years). If I don't sort this out soon, I'll be returning my AVIC.

LOL. Certainly there MUST be a solution to this SD Card problem. Pioneer is going to be guilty of false advertisement soon if this doesn't get sorted out.

Believe it or not, the ability to play AVI or MPEG-4 Files from SD Card was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the Pioneer unit. (I've been a hardcore Kenwood guy for years). If I don't sort this out soon, I'll be returning my AVIC.

from what i'm reading here, mp4 files don't seem likely - isn't Divx the only format supported? I even tried converting some very small files to divx using "divx convertor plus", and the X920 threw up a "can't support resolution" screen. The resulotion was tiny - well under 640x480.

It could be a symptom of the super-puny micro-SD cards, but I haven't been able to get a single video file to play yet on test models. MP3's were fine, however. Why'd you change from Kenwood?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I spent quite a bit of time this morning trying different variations of MP4 video formats to get something working. I based my starting point off of bmw325ist's list. But I wanted the video to fill the screen. So here's what I did...

I downloaded Freemake.com's free video converter (http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/) It doesn't support drag-n-drop, but it will let you select a bunch of video files at once from the "add video" dialog. You can add a custom export profile. So I set one for MP4.

I kept testing 1 file that was fairly short and tried a bunch of different settings trying to get the best quality but still having it play normal. Here are the custom settings I ended with:

Video

Frame Size: Custom

Width: 512

Height: 288

Adjustment: Original

Codec: MPEG4

Frame Rate: Original

Bitrate type: Custom

Bitrate: 750 Kbps

Audio:

Codec: AAC

Channels: Original

Sample rate: Original

Bitrate: 240 Kbps

That produces video that fills the screen and plays smoothly. Hopefully, this helps out others trying to get this working on their units. I have a 920bt. These settings will probably work for the 940bt too and perhaps some other ones. The good news is you can tweak the settings from what I posted and get yours to work. At least the tool is free and seems to work pretty well (At least for my purposes. I haven't tried pulling from a DVD or anything. I've just been doing file conversions).

Good luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/13/2010 at 4:34 AM, bmw325ist said:

I did a similar fight today. I used AVS Convertor and tried a whole slew of formats and also tested USB/SD and DVD-R medias. My tests are listed below, but the best format I've found was DivX 6 .avi format, 1500 kb video, 192 kb audio on a DVD-R. The results are on the left.

There is a cap on video bitrate like the manual says at 1000kb/s for the SD Card. This is NOT the case for the Data DVD-R. A regular dvd of up to 10.8 Mb/s can be played with the disc and the standard of 1500 kb/s works well with the DivX, but won't work with the SD. All the SD media at 640x480 was choppy (words didn't line up on the music videos) compared to the DVD-R. So use a data DVD-R if want smoothness and/or bitrate.

Back to SD conversion: most converters aren't exactly 1000kb/s, so you have to throttle back a little to get the output at as close to 1000 as possible without going over (that's why I used 995kb/s as the audio output). The native resolution of the screen is 800x480 but since that format is neither 4:3 or 16:9, there's no reason to try to get to that resolution, however, it does work. Also I noticed when playing from the SD, the smaller video resolutions do not auto scale up, but they do when playing from the DVD-R. Note: I used the x910bt for these tests. the z110bt should be the same.

I also wanted to mention that these specs might be different for the 120's because of the processor speed (This is why I'm going to the 120), it seems like the engine used for decompressing the USB/SD is much slower than the internal CD/DVD drive. I'll run the same tests on the z120bt when i get it next week :D

DVD-R/RW Media

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 320x240 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps (fills screen)

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 791kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 995kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 1500kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - mov, mkv, mp4, .3gpp, other formats (i tried them)

USB / SD Media

Smooth - AVI - DivX - 320x240 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps (does not fill screen)

Choppy - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 791kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Choppy - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 995kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - AVI - DivX - 640x480 @ 1500kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Smooth - mp4 - MPEG4 - 320x240 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps (does not fill screen)

Choppy - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 791kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Choppy - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 995kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - mp4 - MPEG4 - 640x480 @ 1500kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Unplayable - mkv - H.264 - 640x480 @ 768kb/s Video - 192kb/s audio - 30 fps

Just to update, it works fine with MRZ-099. Did the conversion using Wondershare Video Converter with the said settings. Thank you sir for your help.