AVIC411.com

Avic Z120BT... in motion hack question

I have ordered my Avic Z120 and it will be shipping on Friday the 4th from Crutchfield, the question I have is this: I have read about the hack for Z110 and have also read that it's not working on a GM vehicle due to the use on needing the mute wire for the On-Star. Is this true or is their a workaround for this?

I just would like to get it working on the first install :) I love my Z3 and I sure this will be awesome in my other vehicle.

Thanks in advance..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all - Just completed this mod on a new Z120BT for all in question. Didn't work right the first time, never had the mute pin seated properly - Also soldered the PB wire (light green) and mute wire (yellow/white) together to make sure they had proper connection - ground them both... GOLDEN!! Can't thank AVIC411.com members enough... Cheers

OK - EDIT - !!! - The bypass is now not working, I checked all the connections, resoldered the wires and put in a new ground to the chassis

here is what I did, moved mute wire over 1 pin, soldered mute wire (yellow) and PB wire (light green) and ground wire together, then grounded them all to the chassis.

WHAT am I doing wrong??? PLEASE HELP

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to hack my unit but after getting the unit back home I noticed something interesting.

I have the F20BT (Being in Australia) which was installed correctly (ie not hacked) by a big installation company. What I did notice is that the handbrake on/off setting shows corrects as does speed sense etc etc

BUT, on the front screen there is a "Safe Mode" on/off toggle. When on, the system is locked down when in motion with all the expected things turned off (like video in motion). Turning safe mode off and BAM, everything works all the time. It's very odd that this setting would be just there on the front settings page since most (if not all) countries say you can't use video in motion.

Does anyone else see this option and get this functionality?

if needed, i have extra wires. if the pin is damaged. PM me. :D

Do you have extra wires for sale? I'm getting my unit in this week and would like to do this mod. I don't mind using a new wire instead of scavenging one. Please let me know if you have a wire to sell or give or where I can order one. Thanks a bunch!

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Can the PB and mute wire be grounded to the same wire that the radio is grounded to? I hooked up my radio ground, PB, mute wire to the same ground wire and I'm getting the error about my parking brake not being hooked up correctly and I can't enter GPS destinations unless I'm stopped. Before I start trouble shooting and testing connections I wanted to see if it was OK for everything to be grounded to the same place of if the PB and mute need to go to a chassis ground separate from the radio power ground. Thanks for any insight!

Hi all,

Can the PB and mute wire be grounded to the same wire that the radio is grounded to? I hooked up my radio ground, PB, mute wire to the same ground wire and I'm getting the error about my parking brake not being hooked up correctly and I can't enter GPS destinations unless I'm stopped. Before I start trouble shooting and testing connections I wanted to see if it was OK for everything to be grounded to the same place of if the PB and mute need to go to a chassis ground separate from the radio power ground. Thanks for any insight!

Once the bypass mod is correctly done, yes, the radio, PB, and the former mute wire can be grounded together. You did move the mute over one pin, yes? A common problem is not seating the moved wire fully into the connector plug.

Once the bypass mod is correctly done, yes, the radio, PB, and the former mute wire can be grounded together. You did move the mute over one pin, yes? A common problem is not seating the moved wire fully into the connector plug.

Yes, I moved the pin. I think the mute wire is either broken from me tugging it out of the old spot or that it is not seated, like you said. I'll take a look and then check for continutiy. Thanks for replying!

I found the problem and it works now. When I was using my Jewelers screwdriver to remove the pin I put the screwdriver into the pin to push it out. That caused the pin to gape open and basically surround the connector without continuity. I pulled the pin back out and bent the metal pieces that got bent out back in, and like I mentioned, it works now. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so my wire broke when setting it in the new slot what should I do next am I screwed or can I some here fix it

Where did the wire break? Right at the pin or half way? You can pull another pin that you are not using. But, if there is any wire at all left you can solder it back and keep using the pin. A pic would be sweet.