AVIC411.com

Why Does the Z120BT Cost Less Than the Z110BT?

Yes, on the Pioneer web site:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... ion=models

While I realize that most of us don't pay retail for stuff like this, I paid $949 for mine from Newegg.com back in December of 2009, it still looks weird to go to the manufacturer's site and see side-by-side that the older one costs more than the newer one. :-) I'll be getting the $200 upgrade discs and it will still be cheaper than a new Z120BT or an old Z110BT. Looked at that way, the upgrade discs are a bargain.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but manufacturers like sony, pioneer, kenwood, clarion and etc have all hit a brick wall. Consumers purchasing these units are going for the lower end models without the navigation. Reason being is people want to have a screen in their car. Most of that percentage doesnt want to spend the money on one with the nav. For example you can have a pioneer 5.8inch screen no nav (AVH-P3100DVD) for 450$ (CDN pricing)

click link

and then you jump in to the cheapeest pioneer nav system with a 4.3inch screen (AVIC-U310BT) for 450$ (CDN pricing)

click link

Then you ask yourself what do i want more a larger screen or a nav? Either way you sacrifice one or the other. The consumer then looks at a bigger screen navi system which would be the x920 at a price of 1300$ almost triple the other 2

click link

Then the consumer looks at well i can get the AVH-P3100 and get a portable nav for 100$ (TomTom 4.3" GPS (XL330S))

click link

The consumer is more then likely going to go that route. Why? its a hole pile cheaper then if he goes and buys the 920 or the Z units or even the f series. The gps can be take out of the car and you can take it with you werever you go. You are not bound to 1 car and 1 car only. A friend of mine who is in to the business said that over the course of the next 24months car audio units especially ones like ours are going to be dropping in price relatively drastically. People dont want to pay for these units simply because they know they can get it cheaper and noone can justify spending that kind of money on a radio. Of course enthusiasts like us will continue to purchase them but to each their own