AVIC411.com

Thinking of buying a F90BT

I have the chance to buy an AVIC-F90BT for $400 shipped. I've seen a lot of comments on slow startup times, and some problems with these, are they enough that I should steer clear of this deck? What are some things, other than the pico fuse, that I need to ask the seller?

Basically I'm open to whatever input you guys have on this unit.

I've also heard that even with the pico fuse being good that there is still some hiss coming through the speakers, have many owners of this had that problem?

Gah!!! He's lowered the price to within the range I'd be spending on my other choice. (Kenwood KDC-X994) Down to $375 including all cables and iPod cables.

So tempted to take the chance.....

Edit: Are these really that bad?

Despite Newman's naysaying, the units aren't awful, they work quite well for a lot of people here.

However I do find even $375 for a 2 year old unit to be a bit more then I'm comfy with, but that's more your choice on money, not on the quality of the unit. I'd be looking at a new X910 for about $599 if I were in your shoes, bought with the right credit card you can double the warranty up to 2 years, and it's new, you know no one else has messed with it.

My F700BT has been all but flawless since day one, daily for almost 2 years it's been playing movies, music, and answering calls for me, I view it as well worth the $400 I spent for it.

Its true that not everyone has problems with the F-series but I work for an electronics shop that installed dozens and dozens of F-series navs. we probably had a 50-75% failure rate on them. I personally had an F700 in my car that worked for 6 months then died, then I had an F900 that worked for 1 month then died. We didnt sell the F90, but It seems like the F90 may have had a better track record than the F700, F7010, and F900 so you may get lucky but as a I said before, I wouldnt risk it.

Well, I'm giving it a shot. Sent the guy the money today, I'm in Canada so the shipping cost him $40 Meaning I got the unit for $330+shipping. The good news is if I don't end up liking it I can likely resell it locally for nearly double what I paid. There's one listed for $700 near here.

The F-series had defective flash drives so I am pretty sure the that was changed with the X-series. The F-series was actually developed by an outside 3rd party whereas the X-series was done completely by Pioneer because of the F-series debacle. It would make sense if more things were changed but I was only told about the flash memory.

The F-series had defective flash drives so I am pretty sure the that was changed with the X-series. The F-series was actually developed by an outside 3rd party whereas the X-series was done completely by Pioneer because of the F-series debacle. It would make sense if more things were changed but I was only told about the flash memory.

You have some kind of documentation on this?

I thought there was a difference in modding. Is it true you cannot mod the x-series?

The software most people are using to install 3x firmware on their F series models is sourced from an X910. Exact same stuff. All hacks from one work on the other.