AVIC411.com

Sound not balanced between L/R when playing IPOD

Hi All,

I have been experiencing this problem that is driving me crazy. When listening to the radio, the sound is coming out equally from both the left and right channel - sounds likenormal stereo. When I listen to my ipod, the left channel is much more quiet than the right. I have tested this with various songs so I know its just not the mix of the song. The thing is that sometimes when I start the car and listen to the IPOD both channels will work (this is rare, however). The very next time I start the car the problem can resume. It never changes while I am actually have the unit on. The last time I got both channels correctly it was after I had to unplug and replug the ipod to the USB connector after it wasnt detected on startup. My gut tells me its a loose connection but isnt USB either an ON or OFF since its digital?

Thanks,

Pat

Having this same issue too. However only started after recent firmware update! All other audio sources play fine only the ipod is affected! I believe it is an issue related to new firmware. Never had an Ipod issue with previous firmware. Now that more than one user has experienced the same issue this is not a fluke.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Unplugging the cable works sometimes. Going to the AV Settings and changing the IPod source to off and then cycling it back to Ipod sometimes works. But it doesn't take long (usually less than a song) and the balance shifts to the right. I've actually listened to it happen, it's almost like the left just fades out and the right stays the same.

I took it back to the stereo shop to get a new cable, and the same thing is happening. I haven't ever updated the firmware, or updated my Ipod through Apple. Not sure what's going on.

I've had the X910BT since April, and it never did it the first month or so. The best guess I can figure is maybe it's the heat? It used to happen once in a while back in May, and now it's all the time. It gets really hot (live in Georgia) here lately, and I have to park the truck outside since my garage isn't big enough for it.

If anyone finds anything out, I'd love to hear about it. I'll post if I find out anything. Thinking about upgrading the firmware and seeing if that does anything.

• 4 months later...

I just got my unit in a car i purchased and I have this problem as well. Looking for a solution..

matt

I have the same problem. Unplugging the cable works sometimes. Going to the AV Settings and changing the IPod source to off and then cycling it back to Ipod sometimes works. But it doesn't take long (usually less than a song) and the balance shifts to the right. I've actually listened to it happen, it's almost like the left just fades out and the right stays the same.

I took it back to the stereo shop to get a new cable, and the same thing is happening. I haven't ever updated the firmware, or updated my Ipod through Apple. Not sure what's going on.

I've had the X910BT since April, and it never did it the first month or so. The best guess I can figure is maybe it's the heat? It used to happen once in a while back in May, and now it's all the time. It gets really hot (live in Georgia) here lately, and I have to park the truck outside since my garage isn't big enough for it.

If anyone finds anything out, I'd love to hear about it. I'll post if I find out anything. Thinking about upgrading the firmware and seeing if that does anything.

Sounds to me like the exact same thing that often happens with iPods and personal headphones...specifically, the 1/8" stereo jack on the headphones and/or the hole for it on the iPod's side gets worn down...making one lose the L or the R channel intermittently.

The effect can sometimes vary with temperature, as the different metals expand and contract, affecting the "goodness-of-fit"...

Sometimes, debris can also get in the hole on the iPod, preventing one from plugging in the cable all the way.

You can....

1. Check that you've got that jack plugged in tightly...possibly rotating it around a little to get the best connection.

2. Try a different cable (make sure it's Pioneer OEM and not one of those crappy fake eBay cables everyone is complaining about on here.

3. Check the receptacle for the 1/8" jack on the iPod to make sure it's clear of debris or corrosion. Clean with hard pencil eraser or other "approved" anti-corrosion material for electrical contacts. Try again.

4. Try a different iPod to see if it's the iPod's socket.

Hi All,

I have been experiencing this problem that is driving me crazy. When listening to the radio, the sound is coming out equally from both the left and right channel - sounds likenormal stereo. When I listen to my ipod, the left channel is much more quiet than the right. I have tested this with various songs so I know its just not the mix of the song. The thing is that sometimes when I start the car and listen to the IPOD both channels will work (this is rare, however). The very next time I start the car the problem can resume. It never changes while I am actually have the unit on. The last time I got both channels correctly it was after I had to unplug and replug the ipod to the USB connector after it wasnt detected on startup. My gut tells me its a loose connection but isnt USB either an ON or OFF since its digital?

Thanks,

Pat

this happened to me two. a new x920BT and the first 2 weeks i had it it was awesome, and I have noticed the problem randomly.. louder on the right or pass side of vehicle and with my components its easy to tell. also noticed a hiss or some static noise in music that wasnt there before. like an ambient air or "running tape" type sound. this is also intermittent.

all started after the last firmware update.

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same problem here. <_<

Find it quite annoying.

If there is a solution found, please post it here.

Sure am rethinking my purchase of my avic-x710bt.

Came here to see if anyone else has this problem.

Sad to see I'm not the only one.

Sadder to see no fix :roll:

The solution is to get a different iPod cable

• 4 months later...

well, I replaced my cable with another Pioneer cable and problem is still there. Actually, I can usually get the channel to come if I - get this - start to remove the deck. One time, I got the deck all the way out, simply touched some wires behind it, and the sound came back.

Infuriating. Should I have got the apple cable vs. the pioneer one?

• 1 month later...

yeah i just recently started having the same problem, went about 2 years without any problems and just started happening recently. ive tried multiple ipods and that didnt fix it, i was wondering if it was the cable or loose connection or something but its weird that it works sometimes and then just cuts out. mines installed in an audi and if anyone here worked with those its not easy to remove the unit with the dash kit supplied. so replacing the cable or checking the connection is gonna be a PITA

• 4 months later...

Same problem with the 710bt. Mine usually plays fine for the first 1/2 hour then loose my right channel, then after about 15 minutes comes back then loose it again. Tried another OEM cable with no luck. Still thinking its with firmware because my playlist on my iphone 4 gets very confused showing different song than should be there also.