AVIC411.com

Bluetooth update (ver 2.5 --> ver 3.1)

It was mentioned in the update (Z110 - Z120) that there is a separate Bluetooth update - and from the cryptic explanation, it seems that update does not require a password. My BT (stock mic) has very poor sound quality.

Please post your experiences before and after the update.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you update just the bluetooth? I don't want the full $200 update as it sounds like more trouble than benefits.

I don't have the files in front of me, but here is the general idea. Download the SD images. SD1 has the 3.10 F/W, SD2 has 3.11. You only need SD2 AFAIK. Copy the files from the SD2 image to your SD card. I think it has a directory called "Firmware\BT". Copy this to the root of your SD.

Insert the SD card into the Z110, go to Bluetooth settings menu and scroll down to "Firmware Update". It should find and update the AVIC BT. It takes about 5 minutes and it will wipe out all of your pairings.

I had some audio quality problems after the update - stereo audio sounded like AM radio quality, but that mysteriously went away later.

About the same time, I changed phones to an HTC HD2. The HD2 presented many BT profiles that seem to be supported by the BT in the Z110 HU - besides the normal Hands Free and Stereo Audio. I think they included Serial 1 & 2, File Transfer, Object Exchange, SIM access. These weren't there with my old phone, so I went crazy and selected all of them. That's when I noticed the stereo audio quality issue. BTW, the hands-free phone seemed great - much better than b4, but that was an old phone. Anyway, I eventually got the stereo working fine, I reset my phone to factory, and paired using only the Hands Free (HFP) and Stereo Audio (A2DP) profiles. Not sure if that was the fix, or just a coincidence.

This time the streaming audio from my phone & MP3s sounded much better - at least FM quality, although the music from my iPod (wired) sounded better.

According the the Z120-BT manual, it is still BT 2.0+EDR, same as before. So no telling what the differences are with this update. In hindsite, I seen no reason for updating. It is possible that the new Z120 application takes advantage of some new features, but for us Z110 people, don't bother.