AVIC411.com

X920BT Firmware Update...Anyone done it yet?

It works fine. Took maybe 3 minutes. I wouldn't get very excited about it, though, because it appears to fix only one thing: A reboot issue some users with the MSN traffic receiver may have encountered.

I know a lot of tech companies put spare details in their release notes but do tons of hidden fixes behind the scenes, and maybe Pioneer did that, but they didn't fix any of the nagging issues this unit has, chief among them the Bluetooth connecting before hitting "ok" on the Nav screen breaking VR. Nor does it allow you to sort contacts, access iPod functions from screens other then the primary play screen, or anything else. It's just a slight stability fix for an accessory that's already out of date and many users aren't likely to have. In other words, I wouldn't rush out to get this :)

• 1 month later...

I have the bypass and the update had no affect on it.

Also I highly recommend doing the update, while it doesn't magically fix every annoyance this unit has it does have some pretty major ones. VR alone is almost (except for the voice) passable now.

I have the bypass and the update had no affect on it.

Also I highly recommend doing the update, while it doesn't magically fix every annoyance this unit has it does have some pretty major ones. VR alone is almost (except for the voice) passable now.

as an X920 owner, can you tell me something I can't find online: can you fast-forward either iPod audio files or audio podcasts?

The manual shows forward-rewind arrows for iPod "video", but not for "audio" files.

I listen to alot of long podcasts - and if I can't fast-forward through them, well, that would be bad.

Thanks

UPDATE: I found a dealer (not close, but worth the drive) and you CAN FF audio files. The catch is, not from the screen, but from the hard buttons on the left. For some reason, they forgot FF software controls. Maybe next time.

Do the update its worth it!!! Before the update voice recognition was as good as useless. Not a single voice command would work I got more than frustrated with it. I just performed the update a few days ago and low and behold voice recognition works flawlessly each and every time now :-)

Im happy!

James

Hi there,

Just picked up this unit and have 2 questions:

Since I live in Canada, can I apply the firmware update listed on the Pioneer USA website to my model purchased in Canada? I am not sure if these updates are region/country specific.

Also, I am looking at doing the video bypass but may also be interested in a backup camera. Is it possible to have both options available at the same time - eg. Going in reverse automatically switches on the camera and then switches back to another source when in drive (DVD video)?

Thanks

Also, I am looking at doing the video bypass but may also be interested in a backup camera. Is it possible to have both options available at the same time - eg. Going in reverse automatically switches on the camera and then switches back to another source when in drive (DVD video)?

Thanks

Yes.

• 2 months later...

as an X920 owner, can you tell me something I can't find online: can you fast-forward either iPod audio files or audio podcasts?

The manual shows forward-rewind arrows for iPod "video", but not for "audio" files.

I listen to alot of long podcasts - and if I can't fast-forward through them, well, that would be bad.

Thanks

UPDATE: I found a dealer (not close, but worth the drive) and you CAN FF audio files. The catch is, not from the screen, but from the hard buttons on the left. For some reason, they forgot FF software controls. Maybe next time.

How hard would it have been for Pioneer to add << and >> buttons along the bottom of the AV screen when the iPod is the AV source for FF and rewind??

While we're on the subject...why the hell is "now playing" strip at the bottom of Map view for XM still not clearly labelled as to which is the Channel, which is the Song, which is the Artist, etc.? You have to sort of figure out what order they're listing things in...and they didn't bother to ALIGN anything in columns or rows in that strip.

Friggin' Pioneer...they refuse to hire polished GUI programmers. There's so much sloppiness that would've been easy to fix in five minutes. It's like...a couple dozen lines of additional C/C++ code.

Well honestly, I don't think most people actually FF or RWD anymore so they likely didn't choose that as a priority. Especially sense you can do it from the buttons. Seriously guys, there are a lot more meaningful things to get burnt about on these units then this.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I just hold down the "forward track" button on the head unit (or the "next tract" button on my steering wheel) and the ipod track fast forwards. Obviously, if you press it once, it skips to the next track. Again, holding the button down fast forwards until you release.