AVIC411.com

Does the z110-z120 upgrade fix contacts sort order with iOS4

With the $200 update to turn the z110 into the z120 I have read that there are some Bluetooth updates with it. Since iOS 4 came out for the iPhone, I have found that there is no way to sort contacts in the phonebook on the z by first name and have them displayed first name then lastname. For those with an iOS 4 device (iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4) who have updated their z to be a z120, is this issue fixed or does the z still show contacts in Lastname, Firstname order?

I have the same exact problem!!! Before iPhone 4 or iOS4 my contacts on the AVIC-Z110 were sorted by first name and then last name. Now they are sorted by last name then first name. Is there any way to change this? I went into every single option on the headunit. On my phone they are sorted by first name and last name so I'm not sure why it didn't sync over the same way. Before it wasn't a problem... Maybe this is a bug?

I don't have the iPhone, but instead an HTC Touch Pro 2 with Sprint. I too have the same output from the head unit though. On my phone and in my Outlook Contacts list, I have everyone as First Name-Last Name, yet on the Z120BT it transferred over my contacts as Last Name-First Name. I haven't found anything that lets you sort differently. Kind of a suck factor there, but it will end up becoming something I will just get used to. Hardest part is remembering that when doing Voice Activated Dialing. It's either that, or reduce everyone in my contacts list down to one-name-contact. Doesn't help though when you have friends that share the same first name.

Peace ~ HFoM

What I don't understand is when I had an iPhone 3GS the contacts were showing correctly by firstname-lastname. When I upgraded to iPhone 4 iOS 4.0 now the contacts are showing backwards on the headunit by lastname-firstname. This is extremely annoying.

This situation is unfortunate, since the iOS 4 update came out at about the same time as the Z110 update. Personally, I'm not sure which one actually caused the problem. Can anyone verify how the contacts are displayed in the version 1.00 Z110 software with an iPhone running iOS4?

Last night, I attempted to downgrade to the 3.10 version of the bluetooth firmware, and it was immediately obvious why 3.11 was released. Most of the contacts had a few letters of the last name placed before the first name. For example, "John Smith" was displayed as "h John Smit". I immediately updated back to 3.11.

I think we need to figure out if the Z110 update, the iOS4 update, or the combination of both caused this issue to happen. At that point, we can start complaining to the correct company to hopefully get this issue fixed ASAP.

Thomas

I can tell you from testing that this became a problem in ios4. I am an iPhone dev and had access to all of the betas. Early on with ios4 I noticed that no matter how I sorted my contacts on my iPhone, that the z with the original software would default to Last Name/First Name. This did not change with the introduction of the i4 and the z120. Right now I am using the i4 with a z110 updated to a 120 and the only big I can find with iPhone interoperability is the contacts sort order. Otherwise it is rock solid.

I dont know if this is really considered a bug per se'. What would be really great is if the Z gave us an option of how the contacts would be sorted on our system.

I am using an i4 with the DNX9960 and I don't have this problem so I would think the Z is still at least partly at fault as well.

It is. The difference is that the Kenwood knows how to sort the contacts right and the Z does not, or ignores it. I would like to see Pioneer fix this.

I think the only way to get this problem fixed is if we all call Pioneer and complain.

I called the other day and was told that they have never heard of this problem and suggested that I do a factory reset on my Z. I tried that and also told the iPhone to forget the Z in the Bluetooth settings. After I re-paired the phone, the contacts still showed with the last name first. I made them give me a case number, and I'll be calling back to let them know that resetting didn't fix the issue, and it appears that the problem only appears with iPhones running iOS 4. Hopefully they'll fix it, because more and more people will see this issue as they upgrade their phones.

Thomas

Okay...well, I didn't call them directly and I am not sure by the response from Customer Service if I actually received a Case#....But here was my original email:

"I recently purchased and installed the AVIC-Z120BT and thus far have no real complaints, however I did notice that despite sorting the contacts on my phone and in Outlook (First Name, Last Name), the Z120BT insists on sorting them (Last Name, First Name). This is major issue with regard to VR Calling and having to adapt to alternate sorting. When I want to call my friend (John Smith), I have to speak to the head unit in reverse (Call Smith John). I reallly would like to know if Pioneer has any plans to update and fix this option on the head unit. I am a member of the AVIC411 forums, and I can tell you that there are scores of people who would also like to see this fixed as well. Any input from Pioneer would be greatly appreciated!! Regards...."

The Response (Not sure if this is "canned" or not):

RE:Feature and Specification|B00002|7039569115 [#1312277]

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

This is something our engineers are investigating.

At this time, there is not an update to address the problem.

Thank You,

Rocky

Customer Service Representative"

So I leave it to you to judge....Will we see a correction for this problem eventually??

Peace ~ HFoM

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that apple got on the same page as the rest of the world with iOS4, in that they now transmit contact information as last name first, first name second over bluetooth. The Z110BT/Z120BT does not appear to parse and order the information, and it simply displays the name in the order it receives it.

Once work around I can think of is to edit all of your contacts, and put the first name and last name into the first name (or last name) category. For the iPhone, I wonder if this could be done with windows contacts, outlook, or google contacts, and then sync the changes to the phone.