AVIC411.com

Does the z110-z120 upgrade fix contacts sort order with iOS4

I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask an obvious dumb question.

Sorting by last name IS the way you sort names, look in any phone book, any company directory, it's Last, First, look up an author in the library, musician in a music store, it's Last, First.

It strikes me that Last, First is the correct way to be handling this for both the phone and the AVIC.

Why on earth would one even want to sort by First when it's not ever the right way to sort?

I have the same issue as well, I have a Google (HTC) Nexus one and it did this for me on the Z110 and now Z120. The interesting thing is that if I put a custom ROM on my phone which is a port of the OS from the HTC Desire with the Sense UI it corrects the problem, then when I switch back to the my MoDaCo custom N1 ROM the contacts stay in the First, Last name order that I like.

I had the same issue with my Nokia N97, but my Motorola Milestone (Droid) displayed the contacts properly on z110, but I haven't tested it on the Z120 yet

I really wish Pioneer could go back a few years in Bluetooth Technology, my Pioneer FH-P800BT had the same issue when the phone book first synced but they included an option to reverse all of your entries with one click of a button. Why have they gone backwards??? I personally think the problem is with the Parrot Bluetooth, my FH-P800BT did not use Parrot for Bluetooth and worked much better, I really don't understand all the hype about Parrot, I personally think it's crap when implemented in a 3rd party device, I have never tested one of their stand alone units.

I was really hoping the Z120 update would have included that magical button to reverse the contacts order.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask an obvious dumb question.

Sorting by last name IS the way you sort names, look in any phone book, any company directory, it's Last, First, look up an author in the library, musician in a music store, it's Last, First.

It strikes me that Last, First is the correct way to be handling this for both the phone and the AVIC.

Why on earth would one even want to sort by First when it's not ever the right way to sort?

The quoted point is moot now since the 2.003 upgrade recently came out, but this topic wasn't necessarly ONLY about sorting but It had to do with Voice Recognition as well. One immediately affected the other. In fact, prior to the upgrade, I could have my contacts on my phone displayed both ways based on how the Outlook V-Card information was saved, and for some people this may have been very practical...Who knows...I am not them. I just prefer to read my contacts with people's First name first. Where the problem really was is that the AVIC was requiring us to Voice Dial using the person's last name first...Kinda weird...When I am in my truck, hit the VR command button and then have to say..."Call Smith John" instead of naturally saying..."Call John Smith" it definitely left a lot of us wanting this to be fixed.

I don't walk into the music store, and even after going through the Last Name, First Name catalog..I don't walk up to the clerk and say..."Yes...Can you help me find the Shakur Tupac album..It says you have one in stock.."

Sorting..Who cares, but if the AVIC sorting limitations caused me to have to speak almost ass backwards..then I want it fixed...We live in a world where VR will become more common..and when the day comes that I can order my food via a computer that I can talk to...I don't want to have to say...."Order Soup Tomato"...I wanna say it how I have ordered it for years..."I would like to ".... :)

Hope this clears up what this thread was really about...

Peace ~ HFoM

• 4 months later...

It seems to me that apple got on the same page as the rest of the world with iOS4, in that they now transmit contact information as last name first, first name second over bluetooth. The Z110BT/Z120BT does not appear to parse and order the information, and it simply displays the name in the order it receives it.

Once work around I can think of is to edit all of your contacts, and put the first name and last name into the first name (or last name) category. For the iPhone, I wonder if this could be done with windows contacts, outlook, or google contacts, and then sync the changes to the phone.

[/quote

This is very true, I spoke with Pioneer and was advised that the unit only displays the names in the order it receives it. The problem is the phones and how they transmit the name over bluetooth. I tried several different phones and only certain phones. I used my motorola razr2 v9 and it transmitted in the exact format as listed on the phonebook, once I resync'd the iphone 4, the problem returned regardless of what display settings I set on the phone itself.