AVIC411.com

Pandora Link and iOS4 for iphone heads up.

Hey all,

Just a heads up. I had a iphone 3GS that was jailbroken and had backgrounder (used for multitasking). So when I would listen to pandora via my iphone thru my X920Bt, I could open and close pandora link and use my phone as I saw fit while the music keep playing.

Then I got the iphone 4. It has multitasking built in, which is great. But pandora LINK does not multitask or run in background at all. So basically, I cant run pandora link in the background on my iphone 4 at all. Although, I can run normal pandora in the background (but that means no onscreen support on the X920BT), but again, pandora link DOES NOT run in the background at all. That kinda sucks.

I didnt think I would care so much, but say I get an email Im expecting that I can read at the next stop light or whatever. Well, as of now, pandora LINK has to close, email app opens and then I have to start pandora link again.

Where as with my jailbroken 3GS, I could just let pandora link run in the background ALL day long (it would pause when disconnected from X920BT or closed to start another app), and I could open and close other apps and stuff with no issues.

So if any of you are on a jailbroken 3GS with background, be warned that you will not be able to run pandora LINK in the background at all if you jump to iOS4 firmware or get the iphone 4.

Seems to me that Pioneer needs to update Pandora LINK.

Just thought I would share this with all of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, my first Post!

I just installed an Alpine iDA-X305S and I just found this out the hard way :(

Has anybody tried calling Alpine and seeing if they are planning on updating the App so that it works with Multi-tasking?

Maybe they made it this way to keep us from sending SMS while driving :(

I might have to use my old 3GS and just keep it in the glovebox until they fix it

Thanks,

Lasareath

Just heard back from Pandora:

Hi Sal,

When an accessory (Alpine) is connected to an application (Pandora), the “connection” between the two are terminated when the application is put into the background.

This is a limitation/restriction imposed by Apple on the iPhone.  So we have to wait for Apple to fix/allow this first, then we will make any changes necessary to allow this.

--

Cheers,

Ryan

Listener Advocate  @  Pandora

Sal Cameli wrote:

Ryan,

Do you know if the programmers at Alpine are going to update their PandoraLink iphone app so that it works with OS4's multi-tasking?

It's a real bummer when I exit out of the Pandora Link app and the connection to Pandora is terminated on my Alpine radio

Thanks,

Sal Cameli