AVIC411.com

Extra Pins for the Bypass Hack!

• 1 month later...

I ordered some of these pins and could not get them into the connector. Does anyone have the secret to this.

Do you have a Z110/120 or a Z130? Just wondering if you got the correct pins. Since the harness is different on the Z130, I wouln't asssume the pins are the same size. If they are the correct ones, you might try rotating 90 degrees and try again. Keep rotating until you do the full 360.

Are you sure you pulled the cap on the side up far enough (without removing it)? The pins will not go into the connector unless the locking cap is PARTIALLY removed... not pulled out all the way, just lifted to allow the pin to slide into place.

I know you guys are probably bored to death with this topic, so I appologize in advance! lol. But, the Molex Part# 08-70-1040 Pin Connector, are they availabe at radioshack? I've got a Z120bt in an 03 silverado with Onstar (wich you dont need the mute wire for). I destroyed the the pin trying to get it out and am now in search of another pin without buying a new harness.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone confirmed if this works for the 130? Like a dumbass, I broke the wire for the mute and I'm most likely not going to be able to get it out. I would prefer to not buy a whole new harness if I don't have to.

You still should be able to extract the metal part from the cable connector using the correct technique and a small needle-nose pliers. Then you can just solder the wire back on and insert it into the new position. I think you can even slice the plastic open (with a razor knife) if necesary to remove it.

Don't know if the diode thing will work on a Z130 (or Z120), If it did, we wouldn't be messing with the harness in the 1st place.

You still should be able to extract the metal part from the cable connector using the correct technique and a small needle-nose pliers. Then you can just solder the wire back on and insert it into the new position. I think you can even slice the plastic open (with a razor knife) if necesary to remove it.

Don't know if the diode thing will work on a Z130 (or Z120), If it did, we wouldn't be messing with the harness in the 1st place.

I have a pin extractor at work that we use for DB9 and DB25 connectors. Any idea if that would work to release the pin from its holding place?

Kinda looks like this: pin extractor

I have a pin extractor at work that we use for DB9 and DB25 connectors. Any idea if that would work to release the pin from its holding place?

Kinda looks like this: pin extractor

I think the DB9/25 pins are larger. I had one too and it didn't help on my Z110. I ended up slicing open the nylon connector because I couldn't get mine to release.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm in the same situation with my z140. I ripped the mute wire out of the pin by mistake. i was able to get the rest of it out by slicing the plastic with a knife and working it out from there, but it's too screwed up to try to solder back on the wire. Will it mess up the unit if i just plug the rca back in until the new pins arrive in the mail?

• 1 month later...

yes - I found that the power cable pins from old 3.5" floppy drive off of an old dead computer power supply works great and fits in the a/v harness pin holes perfectly

you dont have to tear up the connector

the trick is htere is a lift-up "bar" tab across the side of the connector. use a small screwdriver/pry tool to unlock/lift-up the bar at each end, and it will allow the pins to just slide out.

I fiddled with it for a while thinking they were back/front locking pins, til i realized there is that snap in bar on the side holding them in.