AVIC411.com

iPhone 4 Dock Solution: spec dock, specdock

Just got my iPhone 4. I thought I would share my in-car solution. I drive a Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I had the AVIC Z110 installed, updated to Z120. I use bluetooth to connect calls and the 30 pin cable to connect audio and video. For most of the audio, I use the Nav controls. So far, there are no issues with connectivity. One small gripe is the Z120's audio UI makes it difficult to do short rewinds of audiobooks and podcasts. So for those, I use the iPhone controls. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts most days, so I don't need a very direct line of sight to the phone's face. So the view angle I have now is satisfactory. Otherwise no worries.

I didn’t want exposed cables hanging out in the car, so I decided on a spec-dock from

http://2point5.com

The installer had to drill a hole at the bottom of the cup holder for the cable to pass through. Everything is hidden except for the black dock. It has a universal opening so I could insert any dock pocket that would come with the case I use on my phone.

I found though that on rough roads, the universal dock 30 pin connection through the dock pocket didn’t provide enough support for the phone. The phone would rock forward and back just enough to make me nervous and occasionally lose the audio connection with the nav unit.

The best solution I found was the Send Station dock extender.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

Even though it’s a bit ugly when the phone is not connected, the phone is locked in tight. No more bouncing around. I can also use it with whatever case I choose to put on the phone.

In the pics, you can see some black foam tape I wrapped around the spec-dock. It tightens up the fit and gives a little cushion from bad road shocks to the phone. I’ll probably need to replace the foam tape periodically, its getting a little ragged where it is exposed. Otherwise, I love the setup. Clean and secure.

post-42202-12872762725027_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762734464_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762744781_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762753734_thumb.jpg

post-42202-1287276275425_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762754942_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762755448_thumb.jpg

post-42202-12872762755955_thumb.jpg

I've used Proclips for years and agree, expensive but you get what you pay for. My iPhone is my camera otherwise I'd throw up some pics but basically I have the mount with the dock on the bottom, I ran my Pioneer cable up through a gap next to my glovebox so it hardly shows, it clips in to the bottom of the dock, the phone in the top, and all is right with the world.

Holds it rock-steady too. I like the idea behind the Spec-dock since (if installed right) it's a "neater" looking solution however as you discovered the phone support is non-existent, in fact it's so bad I could see it damaging the dock connector on your phone on rough roads. Also you lose a cupholder with most of their setups.