AVIC411.com

BT Audio Playback problems after 3.11 update

1st a question... Has anyone else just downloaded SD2 (from a link somewhere else on this board) and updated only the Bluetooth to 3.11?? BTW, this skips the Z120-BT F/W and BT 3.10 updates.

I had read conflicting info about whether this would work.

Besides hands-free phoning, I really like to play streaming internet and MP3s from the phone over the BT connection. The quality was excellent. So after the update, I tried connecting and playing an MP3. It sounded horrible - like a cheap AM radio. Streaming internet was also distorted - with no fidelity. Like a very low bit-rate compression.

So, back to my question...has anyone else done this? If so, how did it work for you?

I wonder if there is a way to go back of the original BT (ver 2.5, I think)? Maybe the 3.11 update is just a patch of 3.10 and not a full release?

Otherwise, I guess I need to purchase the full update.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe I'm the only one to try flashing just the BT update off the downloaded SD image. Anyway, I've been living with this for about 1 week. Yesterday, I was updating the ROM firmaware in my phone (HTC HD2), which wiped out all my pairings - and most everything else.

When I re-paired with the AVIC, I immediately noticed an improvement in the quality of streaming audio and MP3s. Sounded like FM radio again - instead of low quality AM. BTW, I never noticed a degradation of hands-free audio. It was only "phone quality" to begin with. I wonder if the two profiles use a different bit-rate.

Now I don't think the new phone F/W fixed anything - since it was working fine before I updated BT on the AVIC. I also don't know if I did anything different in the pairing procedure than the several attempts at re-pairing last week.

So, I am posting mainly to assure all that updating just the BT to 3.11 off the SDs was possible and had no ill affects. But, frankly, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are having BT problems that you hope to fix with new Parrot software. I really didn't see anything new there - feature wise.