AVIC411.com

Hello Gentelmen and Ladies,

I'm having issues with my N4 and am hoping I can find the fix here. I read through all 19 pages and searched reading every N4 topic relating to my issues. I found a couple fixes, one being the Day/Night fix so thank you to those who posted. My issues are with the sound and disc ejection.

Sound:

When I turn right, the main speakers crack and cut out, but the sub still works. I checked the wires and connections, looked for any shorts, and replaced the harness. It started a couple years ago but was very rare and the problem stopped for a very long time. With in the last several months it's returned and has gotten very bad. Sometimes it'll cut off switching lanes or hitting a bump on the road. Turning left corrects the problem with another crack noise. I know the "crack" is connection, but with all speakers??? If it was one or two It'd be easier to trouble shoot but with all of them going out it comes down to either the harness or the reciever it's self right?

Another is with my iPhone and BlueTooth. Sometimes it'll loose sound but still be paired/connected. Other times it'll skip in and out of sound in about .5 second intervals. 9/10 times restarting the iPhone corrects the problem. Anyone have this issue too?

Disc:

This started about a month ago and has gotten worse. Thanks to the BlueTooth I hardly use my disc drive so my nav disc is always in the drive and I didn't notice how bad it was till a few days ago. The reciever will attempt to eject but all you hear is the motor spinning. Looking into the slot you can see the disc rise but not eject. I discovered sliding in the edge of another disc and very slightly lifting the inserted disc, and I mean hardly touching the inserted disc, will eject it. I'm not jaming the other disc in or anything like that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Disc:

This started about a month ago and has gotten worse. Thanks to the BlueTooth I hardly use my disc drive so my nav disc is always in the drive and I didn't notice how bad it was till a few days ago. The reciever will attempt to eject but all you hear is the motor spinning. Looking into the slot you can see the disc rise but not eject. I discovered sliding in the edge of another disc and very slightly lifting the inserted disc, and I mean hardly touching the inserted disc, will eject it. I'm not jaming the other disc in or anything like that.

The only thing I can relate to is the Disc jamming. I'm concerned as my N5 is a relatively new unit. Sometimes when I push the eject button, you will see the disc attempting to eject and come maybe a quarter inch out then go back in, after that it may do it again, after a few attempts the motor will finally push the disc out.

I thought it might be a weak motor or a power issue, but I'm not sure as it is not consistent. In either event a problem like that I would assume will need servicing. If that's the case for myself, I'm probably going to get a newer unit like the AHV-5200BT which has add on navigation and isn't DVD based. The 5200BT also has a much better ipod controls and interface.

The only thing I can relate to is the Disc jamming. I'm concerned as my N5 is a relatively new unit. Sometimes when I push the eject button, you will see the disc attempting to eject and come maybe a quarter inch out then go back in, after that it may do it again, after a few attempts the motor will finally push the disc out.

I thought it might be a weak motor or a power issue, but I'm not sure as it is not consistent. In either event a problem like that I would assume will need servicing. If that's the case for myself, I'm probably going to get a newer unit like the AHV-5200BT which has add on navigation and isn't DVD based. The 5200BT also has a much better ipod controls and interface.

I do like the new models and I was about to buy a new one but If this can be fixed I'll stick with it. So I guess it comes down to shipping and service fees vs. buying a new one. I can live with disc problem, it's the speakers cutting out five times a day I want fixed. If it does come down to something new I'll leave out the GPS. Ever since I got the iPhone I haven't used my in dash navigation.

I do like the new models and I was about to buy a new one but If this can be fixed I'll stick with it. So I guess it comes down to shipping and service fees vs. buying a new one. I can live with disc problem, it's the speakers cutting out five times a day I want fixed. If it does come down to something new I'll leave out the GPS. Ever since I got the iPhone I haven't used my in dash navigation.

You're using subs, so you have at least one amplifier (unless your subs have a build in amp). So I'm assuming you're using the pre-amp outputs (rcas). Are you also using the pre-amp (rca) output for the rest of the sound or the powered speaker wires from the unit? If you're using the pre-amp output, see if the same problems happens with the powered speaker output.

This way you can try to isolate if it's only with the rca harness.

As far as servicing, from what I hear Pioneer charges a base rate of $200 for any servicing, then adds additional fees for whatever repairs are necessary. If you don't even use the navigation nor the dvd, you're not even using half of the unit's features so you might as well invest in a new one and throw this one on ebay or craigslist and see what you get for it.

You're using subs, so you have at least one amplifier (unless your subs have a build in amp). So I'm assuming you're using the pre-amp outputs (rcas). Are you also using the pre-amp (rca) output for the rest of the sound or the powered speaker wires from the unit? If you're using the pre-amp output, see if the same problems happens with the powered speaker output.

This way you can try to isolate if it's only with the rca harness.

As far as servicing, from what I hear Pioneer charges a base rate of $200 for any servicing, then adds additional fees for whatever repairs are necessary. If you don't even use the navigation nor the dvd, you're not even using half of the unit's features so you might as well invest in a new one and throw this one on ebay or craigslist and see what you get for it.

I am using an amp with the rca sub out, I'll try the rca's for the front and rear as well. The iPhone is just easier, that and I need to get the updated nav discs. Mine are the original set it shipped with. I used to travel alot so I did get plenty of use out of'em. I'm also using the bluetooth add on and a rear cam. If the rca's fix the issue I'll stick with it and get the updated nav dics but for $200 plus fees plus shipping I think I'll take the ebay option.