AVIC411.com

Parking Brake Bypass w/AVIC U220

Hi Everyone,

I just got the AVH-P4200 with the AVIC-U220 navigation add on. I wired up the head unit, used the relay bypass, and everything was working great, could view DVD and videos off an SD card. I then hooked up the U220, and now all it does is display the warning message locking out the video. I didn't have the u220 grounded through the relay so I thought that might be the problem, so I switched it, but still no go. Am I going to have to just wire it up to a switch to bypass the parking brake, or is there another way to go about this with a relay. TIA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem too. i just got the 5200 and the u220 and wired it up yesterday with the relay bypass and couldn't get video either. here is the solution i found:

before you turn the car on simply detach the detchable piec of the nav. turn the car power on and then reconnect the detachable piece. mine is in the glove box so i have easy access and its easy just pop it off, turn on the car, and pop it back on. makes it easy when u want video. then you wont have to rewire. i had video and navigation at the same time when i did this. hope it works for you.

• 1 month later...

I heard that the u220 slows the boot up time of the head unit which nullifies the delay of the parking brake signal caused by the relay. If this is the case, would it be better just to add a switch to the wire (amp wire) triggering the relay? I guess the alternative is to forget the relay and connect the head unit's parking brake wire to the amp wire and put a switch in between. I've also read the possibility of using a timed relay instead. Thoughts/ Advice?

Does anyone know if the u220 have gyro's to further restrict accessing the full menu?

• 1 month later...

Anyone figured out a fix for this? I just got a avh 3200bt with the u220 nav attachment and I'd like to bypass it mainly to have full gps navigation.

Thanks!

there's websites out there that sells the modules. I used www.avhbypass.com and it worked beautifully. I have AVH03200BT

there's websites out there that sells the modules. I used www.avhbypass.com and it worked beautifully. I have AVH03200BT

I built a home made relay and it works fine for the headunit (AVH 3200BT). I have access to all functions on the head unit without activating the parking brake. The bypass only partially works for the GPS module (U220). You don't have to activate the parking brake to use the navigation, But certain options become unaccessible when you go faster than 10 mph.

• 3 weeks later...

I only have the P3200BT and have not installed the Navi on it. Don't know if it'll work for the Navi as well. From wut I've researched, there's an accelerometer in the GPS which knows when the vehicle will go above 10mph, and deactivates certain functions for safety purposes. The accelerometer cannot be turned off via electronic signals. Im not sure how to solve this yet, and i've emailed the avhbypass.com people for help. hopefully they come back w/ an answer soon.

maxzboy

so the relay from www.avhbypass.com works on your AVH03200BT headunit, what about the avic-u220 addon? does the gps work properly with that relay?

i have avhp3200dvd and tempting for an u220, i purchased a relay from ebay back then and i think it'll end up like 1st post.

I have the AVH-P4200DVD with the bypass relay in place. DVD works when vehicle is in motion. I just bought the AVIC-U220 and from what I am reading, if I hook up the Navi unit, I will lose my ability to play DVDs when moving. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I do not care so much if I lose some features on the Navi system when going above 10mph. I contacted avhbypass.com and they said:

"Apparently there's an accelerometer inside the Navi unit that tells when the vehicle is moving above 10mph to shut off a certain functions of the unit. This is a mechanical item and cannot be bypassed via electrical circuit. A solution hasn't been found for the navi add on yet."

I just would like to know if anyone has connected the U220 AND can watch DVDs too...without having to detach the unit from its cradle prior to starting the vehicle up.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have the AVH-P4200DVD with the bypass relay in place. DVD works when vehicle is in motion. I just bought the AVIC-U220 and from what I am reading, if I hook up the Navi unit, I will lose my ability to play DVDs when moving. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I do not care so much if I lose some features on the Navi system when going above 10mph. I contacted avhbypass.com and they said:

"Apparently there's an accelerometer inside the Navi unit that tells when the vehicle is moving above 10mph to shut off a certain functions of the unit. This is a mechanical item and cannot be bypassed via electrical circuit. A solution hasn't been found for the navi add on yet."

I just would like to know if anyone has connected the U220 AND can watch DVDs too...without having to detach the unit from its cradle prior to starting the vehicle up.

Thanks!

I have the 3200DVD and the U220 Nav. I have tried the relay bypass and it works WITHOUT the Nav unit. As soon as you plug in the nav, it will not bypass. I simply installed a switch and flip it off then back on and it will be bypassed. The relay was removed, the parking brake wire was hooked to one side of the switch, ground to the other.
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this problem too. i just got the 5200 and the u220 and wired it up yesterday with the relay bypass and couldn't get video either. here is the solution i found:

before you turn the car on simply detach the detchable piec of the nav. turn the car power on and then reconnect the detachable piece. mine is in the glove box so i have easy access and its easy just pop it off, turn on the car, and pop it back on. makes it easy when u want video. then you wont have to rewire. i had video and navigation at the same time when i did this. hope it works for you.

Get the PAK Universal trigger output module follow instruction and the dvd works not when going over 10ml but at least it works when idle.

Hi Everyone,

I just got the AVH-P4200 with the AVIC-U220 navigation add on. I wired up the head unit, used the relay bypass, and everything was working great, could view DVD and videos off an SD card. I then hooked up the U220, and now all it does is display the warning message locking out the video. I didn't have the u220 grounded through the relay so I thought that might be the problem, so I switched it, but still no go. Am I going to have to just wire it up to a switch to bypass the parking brake, or is there another way to go about this with a relay. TIA.

Get a PAK universal trigger output module you hook 4 wires up and you can get video it takes the place of your relay.it comes with instuction it says something about programming it but just hook it up and it works.hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted on this issue - it really helped me find a working solution. Here it is:

I have the AVH5200DVD and the AVIC U220 and just finished my install with a successful parking brake bypass. I can watch video without unplugging the U220 before startup, no switches to flip, and it works regardless of the speed. I used the PAC TR7 module as suggested (available from amazon for like $20), but instead of just hooking it up as is (which uses the default function intended for Alpine head units) I programmed it to send a delayed output to a relay which grounds the parking brake. If you read the instructions included with the module, it's not that difficult: function #12 sets the module to send three separate timed outputs, but you only need 1. I set the time delay to five seconds and connected the input for the module to the power antenna line from the head unit and the time delayed output goes to the relay. When the unit turns on, the power antenna line sends power to the module, the module waits for 5 seconds then triggers the relay which grounds the parking brake. This gives the head unit the extra time it needs to boot up with the AVIC U220 connected before it grounds the parking brake. Now there are still some options that are unavailable in the navigation mode while driving over 10mph due to the accelerometer, but with this module/relay combination the video works perfectly all the time - from DVD, USB, iPod, AV Input, etc. Hope this help all my fellow Pioneer fans!