AVIC411.com

Map accuracy - lagging behind

Hi new to the board and Pioneer. I recently installed a X920BT and the when using the map screen the indicator (red triangle) is inaccurately displayed on the map. When I pull up to an intersection, it shows me on the map not quite at the intersection. When I turn, it looks like I'm turning into someone's front yard and then the map clicks and I on the street again. When traveling, I'm usually past a street or overpass before it shows on the map. I also noticed that sometimes it doesnt even show the surrounding street names. I moved the GPS antenna the roof of the vehicle about a week ago hoping this would fix the problem. The connection shows ok and all 3 bars are lit up. I've seen 10-11 sats next to the red satilite. My VSS wire is also hooked up and its getting good pulses.

What is going on? Has anyone else experienced this and how did you fix it?

I love the unit and man is this frustrating! :|

Thanks in advance for your help.

TonySS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Normal" just doesnt seem right. I've had several "OEM" in-dash systems in the past and none exhibited this problem. When talking with Pioneer, they never mentioned its normal. I'll try a total reset this week and see if it works, if not, I'll just send it back for warranty service.

Does anyone know what the orange and yellow satellites mean? Should there be any number next to the yellow satellite? When driving, I sometimes will see the number between 10-12 next to the red satellite and some 1 next to the yellow satellite. Usually its 0 next to the yellow satellite.

I wonder if this is my problem.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks I read the same thing in the manual but a pioneer tech told me the opposite. I'm still trying to figure out my problem, the gps antenna was just replaced and the tech now wants me to disconnect the vss wire. Something the manual says should be hooked up for better accuracy. I'm about ready to sell and move on.

This is odd indeed. On my AVIC-X910BT after I reset the device and go to my GPS map, I can see that all of the satellites are red. After time, some turn to yellow, and after more time, most turn green. I thought this meant that the AVIC is receiving the GPS signal from the satellites shown, only the confidence in the signal isn't optimum for that particular satellite (red or yellow status). When the satellite turns green, the confidence is high. Sometimes, when a satellite is about to go out of range, the confidence level never reaches green. The colors - red, yellow, green - make this seem intuitive.

It sounds like the 920BT acts differently?...

If my suspicions about the confidence level in the signal (mind you confidence level is not based purely on signal strength) are true, then let me ask you something: do you normally park your vehicle under a structure (garage/parking garage, et cetera)? I believe the AVIC maintains it's GPS track while the unit is turned off (but it still has access to the "hot" 12 VDC line) so that it won't take as long to get an acquisition on your correct position when you get back in the vehicle. It only has to re-initiate a connection to the GPS satellites when you reset the unit or your vehicle loses power. However, an overhead structure could interfere with it's ability to maintain track. Getting an accurate GPS fix on your location is an inherently long process (relatively speaking of course) and not the fault of your AVIC unit - GPS is NOT instant on when there has been no prior tracking.

Does anybody else have some experience with this that could offer insight?

By the way, it doesn't make sense to me for you to disconnect your VSS signal with the problem you're having.

Joe

This is odd indeed. On my AVIC-X910BT after I reset the device and go to my GPS map, I can see that all of the satellites are red. After time, some turn to yellow, and after more time, most turn green. I thought this meant that the AVIC is receiving the GPS signal from the satellites shown, only the confidence in the signal isn't optimum for that particular satellite (red or yellow status). When the satellite turns green, the confidence is high. Sometimes, when a satellite is about to go out of range, the confidence level never reaches green. The colors - red, yellow, green - make this seem intuitive.

It sounds like the 920BT acts differently?...

yes, the x920 is not related to the F and early x series units at all, the software including the GPS was a ground up rewrite.

I can attest when I had my x920 the GPS lagged and took a bit to catch up to where I was, and what street I was on, the issue never happened on my f-series

Not sure why people put the GPS in the AVIC-X920BT down so much. I wasn't real happy with it at first, but after a few tweaks, I think it works pretty well. It shows all the street names, announces turns with the street name and seems pretty accurate on short trips, I haven't taken any long trips with it yet. When I first got it, I noticed when parked at home the position of the arrow on the map was a little off, but after I adjusted it, it seems pretty good now. It still announces you have arrived at your destination maybe a hair to early, but not bad. I had (and still have) a portable Garmin Nuvi before this I really liked, but like the Pioneer GPS, so far, and it's built in, always ready to go. :)

Funtimeguy

How did you adjust it? I love the unit, I just want to fix this problem. My position is always off and sometimes street names dOnt show at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Not sure why people put the GPS in the AVIC-X920BT down so much. I wasn't real happy with it at first, but after a few tweaks, I think it works pretty well. It shows all the street names, announces turns with the street name and seems pretty accurate on short trips, I haven't taken any long trips with it yet. When I first got it, I noticed when parked at home the position of the arrow on the map was a little off, but after I adjusted it, it seems pretty good now. It still announces you have arrived at your destination maybe a hair to early, but not bad. I had (and still have) a portable Garmin Nuvi before this I really liked, but like the Pioneer GPS, so far, and it's built in, always ready to go. :)
Funtimeguy

How did you adjust it? I love the unit, I just want to fix this problem. My position is always off and sometimes street names dOnt show at all.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

how far off is "always off"? Do you have the VSS cable connected? Where's your GPS antenna located?