AVIC411.com

Map accuracy - lagging behind

However . . . when I asked her to program a route back to my house (programmed as home), she went about one-half mile out of her way for the route. Made it more complicated and longer. But, she was moving "forward". I'm wondering if Pioneer's nav people didn't understand the concept of "turn around, go back".

If the nav woman had known that, she would have saved me 1/2 mile.

What's your U-turn threshold set to?

Joe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However . . . when I asked her to program a route back to my house (programmed as home), she went about one-half mile out of her way for the route. Made it more complicated and longer. But, she was moving "forward". I'm wondering if Pioneer's nav people didn't understand the concept of "turn around, go back".

If the nav woman had known that, she would have saved me 1/2 mile.

What's your U-turn threshold set to?

Joe

Good question . . . time to consult the mega-manual again I guess - what should it be?

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished installing the Z120BT, and also seeing some lag on the nav screen, how much lag would be considered normal? I get great reception under Nav settings/connection status screen? :?:

In my car, the NAV rolls up to the street ahead by about 15 feet late. It's exactly the same as my Garmin portable. If I count the back of my car as the marker, then it's only about 5 feet late. Totally acceptable for what I'm using if for, and that's NOT as Kimi Raikkonen's navigator.

• 3 months later...

Not sure why people put the GPS in the AVIC-X920BT down so much. I wasn't real happy with it at first, but after a few tweaks, I think it works pretty well. It shows all the street names, announces turns with the street name and seems pretty accurate on short trips, I haven't taken any long trips with it yet. When I first got it, I noticed when parked at home the position of the arrow on the map was a little off, but after I adjusted it, it seems pretty good now. It still announces you have arrived at your destination maybe a hair to early, but not bad. I had (and still have) a portable Garmin Nuvi before this I really liked, but like the Pioneer GPS, so far, and it's built in, always ready to go. :)

I have VSS connected and it's still 200-300ft behind the point, for $700, that accuracy is not acceptable, Pioneer needs to work on it asap, I am still using my Garmin, paid $120 and it rocks!!!

I have VSS connected and it's still 200-300ft behind the point, for $700, that accuracy is not acceptable, Pioneer needs to work on it asap, I am still using my Garmin, paid $120 and it rocks!!!

If it's that far behind, either it's malfunctioning, hasn't come close to finishing the 3D Hybrid set-up phase, or you've somehow buggered the install. Try disconnecting the VSS and check the GPS screen, and just drive with it for a few days un-connected. Even with VSS not connected, mine was only around 20-40 feet shy of the target.

300 feet is WAY off. And the Garmin? If it's like my portable, it's only about 5-20 feet off, depending on what part of your car is the reference point.

Funny....mines has never completed the 3d Hybrid set-up phase. The bar indicator never finishes the last 5-6 bars.

If it's that far behind, either it's malfunctioning, hasn't come close to finishing the 3D Hybrid set-up phase, or you've somehow buggered the install. Try disconnecting the VSS and check the GPS screen, and just drive with it for a few days un-connected. Even with VSS not connected, mine was only around 20-40 feet shy of the target.

300 feet is WAY off. And the Garmin? If it's like my portable, it's only about 5-20 feet off, depending on what part of your car is the reference point.

I've had the same issue with my X920, seems to be about 30-50 feet behind. No VSS connected. Our other cars with OEM Lexus nav are spot on accurate (center of the arrow), as is the X710 in my ES (also no VSS connected). The X920 for whatever reason isn't as accurate.

It's likely the reason is multiple GPS antennas, or at least on that is driven by a $50,000 dollar purchase price?

The Pioneer doesn't seem to be quite that lofty, hell, it's not as lofty as a $300 Garmin portable.

It does do quite a lot for the price, but it seems the NAV is truly the achiles heel of the unit.

• 5 months later...

I also have the X930BT. I was having the same problem. The location of my vehicle was different from what showed on the GPS reciever. I changed to main GPS unit and also the antenna, but the problem still existed. The real problem is the vehicle speed sensor. If you go to the 3D calibration screen the MPH should to the same speed as your car is going.