AVIC411.com

Pioneer seriously needs to hire some usability people...

I like my Z110BT (now a Z120BT), but seriously Pioneer, what is going on in your testing?

1.) When planning a route, why do I have to keep entering my home city (Seattle) EVERY time I want to go somewhere? I could set a "home town" on my F700BT, so why not with this 2010 model?

2.) Your new fancy iPhone-like music menu just sucks. It's actually MORE dangerous and clumsy to try and pick a new album than my F700BT, or Z110BT before the upgrade.

3.) Why on earth does the clock cover up the top right of the display, where it's showing me my previous iPod track? It just looks so amateurish!

4.) I understand the red line on the navigation screen showing me where my final destination is in relation to my current position, but no option to turn this off? So I have to see an ugly red line extending across my screen at ALL times.

5.) When picking a route, why do I have to tap all over the screen to start the trip? The OK button needs to be COMPLETELY prominent, in ONE place, preferably bang smack in the CENTER of the screen, not buried among a ton of other on-screen choices.

The more I think about it, the more the Z series infuriates me.

In this video below,

The guy talking about the AVIC says that Pioneer showed the other manufacturers what they had done, and the other manufacturers "couldn't believe" it. I'm sure they couldn't! No other, I hope, would make such a ridiculous UI decision.

Now, all is not terrible. I love the speedy boot-up times of my Z120BT, and the fact that my iPod nano actually connects every time now to the stereo when I turn the car on (unlike my 700BT), but seriously Pioneer, it's time to hire some real programmers.

Oh, and as an addendum, while the ui may not be great on the Z120BT software, how did any of you put up with the completely stretched iPod interface on the Z110BT??? Go look at an F700/F900BT etc, and you'll see how strrrrretched the Z110BT is by comparison.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Let me add another.

Let's say I want to get home to my house in Seattle, but I want to avoid Interstate 5. Well, I can't say "get me home as fast as possible, but avoid this one road," like I could on the F-series. What's the deal with that?

And why do my voice commands not work if I haven't hit "OK" on the navigation warning screen before my BT connects to my iPhone?

Pioneer, are you even reading these forums? :cry:

And why do my voice commands not work if I haven't hit "OK" on the navigation warning screen before my BT connects to my iPhone?

Ok there has been a solution to that one for over a year now.

There has? Well you could have posted it. :shock:

Doesn't really excuse Pioneer for their other missteps.

Having to put the city in every time bugs me too. Especially with VR, because I live in Austin, and without fail it will ask me if I really meant "Boston" or "Malin" (despite the fact that my state is set to Texas. Boston? Really?). There's no way to inturrupt the VR while it's going through it's spiel either so every single time I set a destination by voice I get to go through the whole charade. After a while it gets really irritating.

Really, their entire Nav is in need of an overhaul. It's terrible when stacked against a lot of the competition, but about a dozen little tweaks or fixes would change that. Not even major stuff, just things like the OP already outlined.