AVIC411.com

Possible Battery Drain?

I'm not sure if the Avic could be to blame for this or if it could be my faulty wiring. :shock:

I installed it myself in my 2005 Nissan Altima using the wiring Harness. I did not connect the mute button or the Power Amp/Auto Antenna Relay and just taped them off. I bound the other wires using zip ties to ensure the whole process was clean, and I installed it pretty easily. I put the Nav antenna under the dash behind the unit itself but I did not install the mic. I spliced the ground with the ground wire on my wiring harness, but I took the handbrake wire and grounded it (bypass) instead of hooking it up to my e-brake.

I'm using the USB and AUX ports and I am having a small problem with my iPhone. When I'm listening to music, there is a faint splash of static that appears every few seconds that can be lessened when the volume is higher, but it's there nonetheless. On top of that, my FM receiver is not nearly as reliable as my factory radio and doesn't get some channels that used to come in crystal clear. Even channels that do work will have an unstable signal.

On top of all this, today I parked my car and went to get an Eye Exam (in there maybe 30 minutes. Came out and my battery was completely dead. The HUD turned on when the key was in the ACC position and my lights worked, but the car wouldn't crank at all. I'm not sure if there might be a bad ground or a short or if my battery is just plain dead (I've owned the car for about 8 months now, never replaced the battery). Even if the battery were dead, something would have to have killed it. :?

I'm going to get the battery checked out today to see if there's something wrong with it, but could I have made a mistake in the wiring process (this was my first time wiring up a new car stereo) that could have caused a battery drain that would kill it in less than an hour?

Thanks for the help, guys!

I don't know about your battery drain problem, but a lot of newer cars have an antenna amplifier that gets it's power from the power antenna wire (blue wire). This should fix your reception problem.

It turns out my battery's time had come, someone ran a diagnostic on my set up and there are no power drains anywhere, so that's a load off my mind.

I noticed a blue/white wire that appeared to be for the Amplifier. I assumed it was only for aftermarket Amps so I didn't connect it. I just went out and connected it to the blue/white wire in the wire harness but it did not appear to work. I still get no AM reception to speak of and shoddy FM reception. I do also have a black wire in the harness that's not connected to anything. I assumed I had to plug the blue wire into something considering its appearance.

IMGP1041.jpg

As it is, I clipped off the head and spliced the wire into the harness to no effect.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong and I'm just as sure it's inane. I apologize for my inexperience, but at this point I just want my radio to work.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and suggestions!