AVIC411.com

AVIC Z1/Z2/Z3 Upgrade to AVIC Z3 w/2010 Maps

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I will try this today. I was not using the flasher method before, but I agree something must have had it bypassed. I am unsure of the wiring as I purchased the car with the head unit installed. I do know that the parking brake must not be connected as I can't access the menus even when the brake is up.

Any thoughts?

After finally getting around to taking out the head unit I notice two things.

First you were correct about the auto flasher. The previous owner had one installed which is why I wasn't even aware of the bypass issue. Second, the two additional connectors required for the two wire bypass are missing entirely. I got in touch with the manufacturer and can order them at about $40 a pop. The question is can I simply order the one connector that you add the additional wire in and ground that with the parking brake wire leaving out the 'donor' connector entirely? I would take a wire from another socket on 'connector 2' as I will never use it anyways. Is 'connector 1' needed at all? I don't want to order both if I can avoid it.

Also, can I do the two wire ground method while leaving the auto flasher in? This would make life a lot easier if that would work.

Thanks in advance!

im working on the download right now. My Z1 is as original as the day it was made. I successfully made the test disc and unlocked the drive that way. I have to download the acronis software next. i see 5 seeds available at the moment and have downloaded about 3 gigs of the file in 4 hrs. I will look for a IDE adapter tomorrow to hook the drive up to my computer inside. I have replaced graphic cards and fans and audio cards in my PC. Never messed with a drive though on my pc, i have an extra slot for one though. The only thing that bothers me is the Acronis software. I hope i can figure that part out with ease. Most of it has been since i started tonight.

garrett,

I am updating my z2 to z3. i succeeded in unlocking the drive, and updating ldata and sdata according to acronis. What is happening now when i insert the drive into the Z2 it is in a constant reboot cycle, it says it is updating progamming, fails, reboots....etc.. Also, I noticed that I select the torrent1.tib in the selection for acronis and it puts torrent13.tib in the window at the bottom. Its the new version of acronis so nothing matches and i cannot do the drive letters either. Any thoughts? I appreciate your help.

garrett,

I am updating my z2 to z3. i succeeded in unlocking the drive, and updating ldata and sdata according to acronis. What is happening now when i insert the drive into the Z2 it is in a constant reboot cycle, it says it is updating progamming, fails, reboots....etc.. Also, I noticed that I select the torrent1.tib in the selection for acronis and it puts torrent13.tib in the window at the bottom. Its the new version of acronis so nothing matches and i cannot do the drive letters either. Any thoughts? I appreciate your help.

I am not familiar with the new Acronis version. The drive letters are not required. No issue with 1.tib or 13.tib as Acronis sees all files as an image. If it did not see the complete image, it would give error.

I would try to reimage LDAT and SDAT again.

I am not familiar with the new Acronis version. The drive letters are not required. No issue with 1.tib or 13.tib as Acronis sees all files as an image. If it did not see the complete image, it would give error.

I would try to reimage LDAT and SDAT again.

Ok I am kind of stuck. I do not have a tower pc and the service disc will not work anymore. The radio just continues in that update cycle. My original hard drive is locked. What I managed is to put my image onto another 30GB toshiba drive through acronis. It is only temporary though. What I was wondering is how much would it cost me to send the original drive to you to fix it up? I need the update mainly for the f/w update to fix the freezing issue. After several attempts it will not fully load and I am stuck. I could try to load the updates on the new drive but do not fully trust the process with my abilities as the first attempt failed. Please advise.

Ok I am kind of stuck. I do not have a tower pc and the service disc will not work anymore. The radio just continues in that update cycle. My original hard drive is locked. What I managed is to put my image onto another 30GB toshiba drive through acronis. It is only temporary though. What I was wondering is how much would it cost me to send the original drive to you to fix it up? I need the update mainly for the f/w update to fix the freezing issue. After several attempts it will not fully load and I am stuck. I could try to load the updates on the new drive but do not fully trust the process with my abilities as the first attempt failed. Please advise.

PM Sent

• 1 month later...

I had some trouble with this upgrade, but finally got it working today. I had previously ordered an updated drive from Garret and when I installed it the update would fail and it would eventually switch to cannot use HDD. I verified the drive on my pc and it had all the files, so I tried loading the image on my original drive (I had previously upgraded to a 40gb) and I had the same result. I was very reluctant to try my 40GB drive because it was the only one working so I tried a 100GB I had lying around and it worked, but of course rebooted because it's not a Toshiba. Finally, I loaded the image onto my 40GB Toshiba that I have been running and copied my data back over and everything runs fine! I now have two 30GB Toshiba drives loaded with Z3 images that seem fine when connected to a computer but they just don't play well with my unit for some reason.

• 2 months later...

It will work for using Acronis to transfer files, but it will NOT work with MHDD to disable the security on the drive.

So would I be able to use that test disc to unlock it straight through the Z1 itself and then transfer over the files using that cable? I only have a laptop so this is why I am asking...