AVIC411.com

Rear view camera not working

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. Been using the site for reference but couldn't find anything that would help me with my problem.

I recently got a Avic f700bt and a boyo camera. everything works okay but the rear view cam doesn't work when I put it in reverse.

I connected the yellow camera RCA yellow to the brown RCA on the deck

I connected a wire from the reverse light to the reverse light signal wire on the deck (Purple and white if I remember).

I connected the camera red wire to a 12V acc wire

I connected the camera black wire to my main ground at the deck area

When I manually turn on the camera from the AV source I get an image from the rear view camera

When I place the car in reverse, Nothing... The camera doesn't switch on automatically...

I did some test on the reverse signal and when I put the car in reverse, the voltage goes up around 13V, when I put it back to park, the voltage goes back to 0V

If I switch the polarity in the settings/rear camera to neutral, the next time I turn my car on, the rear view camera stays on constantly, regardless if I'm in P,N,R,D ...I have to press and hold the map button for about 5 seconds to get out of that screen view and then I can turn it back to Positive polarity.

I should also add that I did the fx3.1 firmware image upgrade from this website at this link: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/27807-fx31-complete-firmware-image/

I'm clueless what could be wrong? is it software or hardware related...?

I should also add, I called Pioneer tech support, they told me to do a master reset by holding the reset button for 10 seconds. I did so and the problem is still there.

I tried installing the V2.08 firmware from Pioneer but it didn't work. (Didn't auto install) I think I read somewhere that you can't do pioneer firmware once you've installed a hacked firmware...? I dunno...

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have some ideas what could go on?

Also to add. I just did more testing right now. If I set the camera polarity to Ground, it only turns on when I restart the car. But also, it only stays on for about 30-40 seconds (Regardless if I have it in P,R,N,D). So basically. I turn on the car, the Pioneer start-up screen shows up for 2-4 seconds then the camera kicks in, for about 30 seconds, then a very brief (Half second) pioneer start-up screen shows up again and then the camera stops working and the unit goes into the main menu.

It almost feels like theirs a program that is interfering with the camera and de-activates it at the start-up, (When the windows loads and that program kicks in, the camera stops working)... But then again, the camera doesn't even work at all when set to positive polarity.

I can go into the explorer and show anyone the setup in my device and the programs if anyone needs to see whats up. Ultimately, it's the fx3.1 program...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Scott,

I measured the current at the HU location, or more precisely where my reverse wire is connected to the HU reverse signal (I used a male/female connector for easy removal)

To test it, I've unplugged the female connector and placed the voltmeter on the end of the reverse wire and to the HU ground. When putting the car in reverse, the signal would go to 13V, and in other gears, at 0V.

After your post scott, it got me thinking, what if I remove the black plastic cover on the reverse signal wire on the HU which will expose what looks lile a resistor, and then touch the voltmeter on the in and then on the end. If I get 0V on the in, it means my crimping job sucked at the male female connector and the power was just not reaching out. if I get 13V on the in but 0V on the out of the resistor, it means the resistor is bad. If I get 13V on the out of the resistor, then it means something is busted either inside the HU or as part of the software....

Would touching the resistor wires with a voltmeter damage something?

Thanks for the reply Scott,

I measured the current at the HU location,

Would touching the resistor wires with a voltmeter damage something?

I presume you are mixed up when you say you are measuring current. Just want to clarify that your DMM is set to read volts and not amps?

Touching the resistor fuse with the meter set to volts will not damage it.

Here is what to do.

1.Place car in reverse.

2.Place ground (black) lead to the same ground as your HU

3.Place positive (red) lead at the end of the resistor fuse that is attached to your reverse signal source. Should read ~12v

4.Place positive (red) lead at the end of the resistor fuse that is attached to your HU. Should read ~12V

5.Place positive (red) lead at the connector between the resistor fuse and HU. Should read ~12V

You should see 12V at each point. If not, there is a open circuit some where. If not, then the last place to check is at the connector on the HU itself. We can deal with that if all else pans out.

Hi Loosewheel, thanks for your reply. Yes I meant voltage not current hehe

So I was hoping it was just a defective resistor but I took the black plastic cap off and measured before and after the resistor and got the same voltage reading. Which actually left me thinking, what's the purpose of that resistor?

Now I'm out of idea. It's getting a reading in reverse all the way to the HU, so if something is wrong, it's either hardware inside the HU or a software issue. I don't know what to do from there

The 'resistor' fuse is simply a fuse that looks like a resistor. The color bands translate to the fuse value. These are also referred to as a 'pico' fuse. You can simply measure them to ensure they are a short to verify they are good.

Last step would be to see if your getting the 12V at the harness connector that plugs into the HU. Verify no broken/bent pins in the connector at the harness and HU.

"I measured the current at the HU location, or more precisely where my reverse wire is connected to the HU reverse signal (I used a male/female connector for easy removal)"

"Now I'm out of idea. It's getting a reading in reverse all the way to the HU, so if something is wrong, it's either hardware inside the HU or a software issue. I don't know what to do from there"

Just to clarify, are you getting your voltage measurements at the HU or at a connector before the HU? If you haven't tried this already you could poke a pin or needle, connected to your volt meter with a clip lead, into the back side of the plug at the HU. Is that reverse wire firmly seated in the plug, not pulled out, so it makes a good connection with the pin on the HU? Is the pin on the HU that the reverse wire goes to ok, not bent or broken off?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scott,

Since it was a brand new wiring harness I had assumed it would be fine, so thanks for pointing that out, I did remove the HU again last night and did further investigation on the connector. ALthough unfortunately, the wire was fine and didn't show any problems. I did a multimeter test directly from the black male pin (The connector that plugs directly to the HU and got a reading of around 14V.

I'm still puzzled, what's the purpose of the resistor on that reverse wire on the harness if the Voltage is the same from before and after the resistor? Shouldn't the resistor control the current so that it's lower than 14V going into the HU?

I'm still puzzled, what's the purpose of the resistor on that reverse wire on the harness if the Voltage is the same from before and after the resistor? Shouldn't the resistor control the current so that it's lower than 14V going into the HU?

its probably one of pioneers pico fuses, and not a resistor.

its probably one of pioneers pico fuses, and not a resistor.

^^^^What he said ^^^^^....plus what I said 3 posts above that.