AVIC411.com

Custom .PIM Image Application

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tested this app - holds promise! However, looks like the PIM files are not loading in the proper 2-byte 5:5:6 format.

Jerry - thanks for making the effort! Awesome! Let me know what format you are loading the PIMs in. Like I said, its 16-bit, 5:5:6. Can you do that? For Save too?

Derek
Wow - so close! Looks like this app is saving things as 5:6:5, not 5:5:6. Otherwise, if you load a JPEG into the app and save it as PIM, it works!

I took a JPEG photo I had into photoshop, resized and cropped it to 500x240, and saved it as a JPEG at Maximum Quality 10. I then loaded the JPEG into Jerry's program and saved it as PIM.

I renamed the PIM file to RAW temporarily, then I open the RAW file in Irfanview as a 5:6:5 and its perfect! We just need Jerry's program to save it as 5:5:6 and I think it will look correct on the AVIC.

If that works, then we are good to go!

Derek
I discovered something last night that has made the process much cheaper.

You don't need DVDR DL's to load custom backgrounds.

Burn a no POI DVD with the backgrounds you want, load the DVD and select the background, the background is then loaded into the D1's flash memory. You can then take the DVD out and put the factory DVD in and it keeps the background.
First - thanks to the mysterious Jerry!

Yeah, if you use a JPEG, the colors are off. This is the issue I noticed when loading the XM PIM files into Irfanview. There is some sort of offset, or different color space going on, I don't know. So yeah, you can make some reasonable backgrounds using simpler color schemes. But photos look wrong.

I will continue to try to figure that out.

Jason - wasn't the boot screen just a JPEG, not a PIM?

Derek
[quote name="JasonH"]I discovered something last night that has made the process much cheaper.

You don't need DVDR DL's to load custom backgrounds.

Burn a no POI DVD with the backgrounds you want, load the DVD and select the background, the background is then loaded into the D1's flash memory. You can then take the DVD out and put the factory DVD in and it keeps the background.[/quote]

That's cool, so I can use my DVD-RW to load backgrounds and not burn up DL's just to change the background - good find! By the way - you should be testing with the No-POI DVD+RWs, not using the expensive DLs, right?

Derek
[quote name="ohlarikd"]First - thanks to the mysterious Jerry!

Yeah, if you use a JPEG, the colors are off. This is the issue I noticed when loading the XM PIM files into Irfanview. There is some sort of offset, or different color space going on, I don't know. So yeah, you can make some reasonable backgrounds using simpler color schemes. But photos look wrong.

I will continue to try to figure that out.

Jason - wasn't the boot screen just a JPEG, not a PIM?

Derek[/quote]
Ya, the bootscreen is just a jpeg, why pioneer didn't stick with jpeg, I don't know...

[quote name="ohlarikd"]
That's cool, so I can use my DVD-RW to load backgrounds and not burn up DL's just to change the background - good find! By the way - you should be testing with the No-POI DVD+RWs, not using the expensive DLs, right?

Derek[/quote]

I actually don't have any RW's let alone DL DVD's. I have just been using regular DVD-R's
Ah. I bought a 5 pack of Fuji DVD+RWs from CompUSA for $7.99. A cheaper alternative than burning up a platter full of DVD-Rs. At the rate we are going through attempts, seems like a good purchase.

I think I will make a color chart and put it in a PIM for the AVIC and see what it looks like.

Derek
Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

I read how to change the background image so we're good there but, what about the bootscreen.

Apologies if this is n00bish, been awhile since I poked around in the HU prefs on my D1 and I'm clearly not in my car and won't be for a little while.
[quote name="thread"]Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

I read how to change the background image so we're good there but, what about the bootscreen.

Apologies if this is n00bish, been awhile since I poked around in the HU prefs on my D1 and I'm clearly not in my car and won't be for a little while.[/quote]

No Worries :)
Oddly enough, the bootscreen is the only jpeg on the D1.....stupid pioneer.
just change BGOPEN2.JPG to any JPEG of your choice. 500x240 is the resolution
[quote name="JasonH"] [quote name="thread"]Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

Apologies if this is n00bish, been awhile since I poked around in the HU prefs on my D1 and I'm clearly not in my car and won't be for a little while.[/quote]

No Worries :)
Oddly enough, the bootscreen is the only jpeg on the D1.....stupid pioneer.
just change BGOPEN2.JPG to any JPEG of your choice. 500x240 is the resolution[/quote]

Ahh, so if I want to change the bootscreen I need to create a custom DVD with that file modified correct?