AVIC411.com

Custom .PIM Image Application

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="JasonH"] [quote name="thread"]Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

I read how to change the background image so we're good there but, what about the bootscreen.

Apologies if this is n00bish, been awhile since I poked around in the HU prefs on my D1 and I'm clearly not in my car and won't be for a little while.[/quote]

No Worries :)
Oddly enough, the bootscreen is the only jpeg on the D1.....stupid pioneer.
just change BGOPEN2.JPG to any JPEG of your choice. 500x240 is the resolution[/quote]

Ahh, so if I want to change the bootscreen I need to create a custom DVD with that file modified correct?[/quote]

That was me, also forgot to add that then my custom DVD would be the one I'd have to keep in the D1 if I want that bootscreen correct?
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="thread"] [quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="JasonH"] [quote name="thread"]Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

I read how to change the background image so we're good there but, what about the bootscreen.

Apologies if this is n00bish, been awhile since I poked around in the HU prefs on my D1 and I'm clearly not in my car and won't be for a little while.[/quote]

just change BGOPEN2.JPG to any JPEG of your choice. 500x240 is the resolution[/quote]

Ahh, so if I want to change the bootscreen I need to create a custom DVD with that file modified correct?[/quote]

That was me, also forgot to add that then my custom DVD would be the one I'd have to keep in the D1 if I want that bootscreen correct?[/quote]

Just replace BGOPEN2.JPG with whatever jpeg you want, stick the DVD in the D1. You don't need to keep it in because it loads the jpeg into it's internal flash memory. *thanks pioneer* :P
[quote name="JasonH"] [quote name="thread"] [quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="JasonH"] [quote name="thread"]Dumb question. How do you change the bootscreen?

That was me, also forgot to add that then my custom DVD would be the one I'd have to keep in the D1 if I want that bootscreen correct?[/quote]

Just replace BGOPEN2.JPG with whatever jpeg you want, stick the DVD in the D1. You don't need to keep it in because it loads the jpeg into it's internal flash memory. *thanks pioneer* :P[/quote]

Cool, I'll be posting my pics this weekend then most likely.

My HU is in a 2006 VW GLI. (Jetta)
I don't think this PIM color issue is going to be easy to fix.

In a PIM file, white is 39 67. In PIM Manager, white is naturally assumed to be FF FF.

3967 ends up being some teal color, when its really white. I made a color chart and compared some things:
[url=http://users.rcn.com/ohlarikd/storage/Compare%20Color.jpg]http://users.rcn.com/ohlarikd/storage/C ... 0Color.jpg[/url]

Gray Scale, if using purely RGB colors in the range of 0 to FFFF, doesn't seem to translate. It comes out in color. I am not sure how to represent gray scale properly.

I am burning a DVD right now with the color chart. I will take a picture of the AVIC and post it here.

Derek
Well, the color chart came out better on the AVIC then if you load it into Irfanview.

[url=http://users.rcn.com/ohlarikd/storage/avic%20color%20chart.jpg]http://users.rcn.com/ohlarikd/storage/a ... 0chart.jpg[/url]

The main primary colors look ok, but the grey scale is colored. It is more colored in real life than the photo. The rainbow gradient is ok, showing the limitations of 16 bit color.

Incidentally, I seem to have made a transparent background, and you can see that while on the AV screen, the NAV map is still in the background underneath. I guess you need to create background with solid black, then draw on top of it. I will have to edit the color chart and add a big white box and a big black box.

Anyway, this gray scale thing might be messing up photo JPEGs...

UPDATE: Loaded a JPEG photo on the D1 using PIM Manager. The picture is mostly ok, but the gray problem seems to make some things not quite right. And some colors are a little off too. I think PIM is just not going to allow photos. However, it seems like you can make your own backgrounds with paint, as long as you don't incorporate some complicated photo elements.

Why not just allow the N2 ability to load JPEGs? Who knows how Pioneer thinks.

Derek

Derek
The grays are weird. Pure white ends up as completely clear. The gradient, from full white to full black, end up breaking into several smaller gradients with different transparency levels and darkness levels. Also, cerain shades of color become transparent.

I think there is a subset of colors that are solid, and then the variants become transparent. Who knows what ends up as what. Red, Blue, Yellow seem ok, but orange, green, and purple look transparent. Maybe if you pick the right shade of these colors, they will be solid.

It would take a long time to figure out which colors are solid and which are transparent... sigh...

Derek
  • 2 months later...
[quote name="ohlarikd"]When you change the boot screen, don't forget to press RESET after you put the DVD in, otherwise it won't load the new bootscreen image into memory.

Derek[/quote]

ok i made a DVD-rw with the new .PIM backgrounds i wanted and replaced the BGOPEN2 file with the loading screen i want. backgrounds work very good but where is this reset button on the D1? once i figure out how to get this navi loading screen to work its off to buy so dL DVDS :P any help is appreciated!

oh i tried the restore to factory defaults button(didnt work)
thanks again Patrick
[quote name="ohlarikd"]I don't think this PIM color issue is going to be easy to fix.

In a PIM file, white is 39 67. In PIM Manager, white is naturally assumed to be FF FF.

Derek[/quote]

hope you don't me butting in, i've just found this forum and only read a couple of messages, so i might be repeating stuff already known, but white is not 3967, you're looking at it in the wrong format.
example

take the 3967 in hex 0xF7F, well its obvious the ordering (probably just little endian) is in the wrong order (and from the screen shots i've seen people post with the odd coloured greyscales, it would match) , its really 0x7FF which is a normally bit white RGB.

so if you treated the 0xF7F as RGB at 555 or 556 it'd appear strangely.

seems like its more 443 or something, making a test image should be easy enough

also i noticed you talking about translucency problems, well its really ARGB or some combination thereof, and you're building the RGB triplets in the wrong order, or you're using the wrong endian, you'd end up writing into the alpha values, i dont know if its a single mask bit for on off transparent alpha or a few bits for translucent alpha. (this is easily check my making an image with 0xF7F + 0x10 * level of translucency or such., so a band of 0xF8F 0xF9F 0xFAF etc, this should should either on off transparency or blended translucency

again sorry if this is all old news, or i missed something else.

cheers,
charlie
  • 2 weeks later...