AVIC411.com

Custom .PIM Image Application

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest adamhicks
Can you please post that parametric EQ blue background image alone? I want to Photoshop my FJ into it for my startup screen.

Can I have multiple .PIM files with the single background JPG on the same DVD? Does it browse the .PIM files from DVD or does it load them into RAM as well? How many can you have?

Thanks a million for this. I was REALLY hoping this would work on the D1... I already did XM Nav/Traffic and backup cam. Great unit.

Adam
Guest adamhicks
Man you're fast!

Thanks a million.

Only question.. to do the PIM files do you have to burn a Nav DVD and replace the files in the correct folder or can you have a PIM only DVD?

Thanks!
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest havenot
I was trying to load a new boot screen and one instruction I don't understand is how to resent the D2 unit so it will load up the modified .bmp. How is this done? Will it affect any other settings?
When changing .PIM's for XM icons, does the burnt disc have to stay in the drive or, like with bootscreens & backgrounds, can the disc be removed once the icon has been opened? I'm guessing that the disc will have to stay in BUT I haven't tried it yet. I just didn't want to burn a DL disc if I didn't need to.

Attached is my 1st (successful) attempt at a custom bootscreen. Thanks for all the help in getting the information to play with that!
[quote name="ckelly33"]When changing .PIM's for XM icons, does the burnt disc have to stay in the drive or, like with bootscreens & backgrounds, can the disc be removed once the icon has been opened? I'm guessing that the disc will have to stay in BUT I haven't tried it yet. I just didn't want to burn a DL disc if I didn't need to.

Attached is my 1st (successful) attempt at a custom bootscreen. Thanks for all the help in getting the information to play with that![/quote]

For XM, the disc needs to stay in. The bootscreens and backgrounds disc can be removed.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="charliex"] [quote name="ohlarikd"]I don't think this PIM color issue is going to be easy to fix.

In a PIM file, white is 39 67. In PIM Manager, white is naturally assumed to be FF FF.

Derek[/quote]

hope you don't me butting in, i've just found this forum and only read a couple of messages, so i might be repeating stuff already known, but white is not 3967, you're looking at it in the wrong format.
example

take the 3967 in hex 0xF7F, well its obvious the ordering (probably just little endian) is in the wrong order (and from the screen shots i've seen people post with the odd coloured greyscales, it would match) , its really 0x7FF which is a normally bit white RGB.

so if you treated the 0xF7F as RGB at 555 or 556 it'd appear strangely.

seems like its more 443 or something, making a test image should be easy enough

also i noticed you talking about translucency problems, well its really ARGB or some combination thereof, and you're building the RGB triplets in the wrong order, or you're using the wrong endian, you'd end up writing into the alpha values, i dont know if its a single mask bit for on off transparent alpha or a few bits for translucent alpha. (this is easily check my making an image with 0xF7F + 0x10 * level of translucency or such., so a band of 0xF8F 0xF9F 0xFAF etc, this should should either on off transparency or blended translucency

again sorry if this is all old news, or i missed something else.

cheers,
charlie[/quote]

Charlie,

Thanks for thinking about this. We have tried to decipher the bit scheme, and we thought we had it when we were able to read the PIM file using Irfanview. However, when you create a JPEG image in photoshop, then use the JPEG-to-PIM converter that someone wrote, it will not create the proper bit scheme to get it to appear correctly on the AVIC itself. I still haven't figured it out.

Please feel free to try out all the different suggestions you have made - it is time consuming for one person to do. I have tried many things to no avail, so I would welcome another pair of hands to decipher this.

Derek
[quote name="ohlarikd"] [quote name="charliex"] [quote name="ohlarikd"]I don't think this PIM color issue is going to be easy to fix.

In a PIM file, white is 39 67. In PIM Manager, white is naturally assumed to be FF FF.

Derek[/quote]

hope you don't me butting in, i've just found this forum and only read a couple of messages, so i might be repeating stuff already known, but white is not 3967, you're looking at it in the wrong format.
example

take the 3967 in hex 0xF7F, well its obvious the ordering (probably just little endian) is in the wrong order (and from the screen shots i've seen people post with the odd coloured greyscales, it would match) , its really 0x7FF which is a normally bit white RGB.

so if you treated the 0xF7F as RGB at 555 or 556 it'd appear strangely.

seems like its more 443 or something, making a test image should be easy enough

also i noticed you talking about translucency problems, well its really ARGB or some combination thereof, and you're building the RGB triplets in the wrong order, or you're using the wrong endian, you'd end up writing into the alpha values, i dont know if its a single mask bit for on off transparent alpha or a few bits for translucent alpha. (this is easily check my making an image with 0xF7F + 0x10 * level of translucency or such., so a band of 0xF8F 0xF9F 0xFAF etc, this should should either on off transparency or blended translucency

again sorry if this is all old news, or i missed something else.

cheers,
charlie[/quote][/quote]

Oh... I see what you are saying now. Interesting. They are using decimal notation in the file, potentially. Strangely, if you interpret it as hex using Irfanview, it comes up ok.

Either way, I will try to find some time to see if I can correlate some other non-white colors to figure out the bit order. If the last bits are levels of translucency, that would be interesting as well.

Jason, we would need the unknown contact to make a new version of PIM converter, could you ask?

Thanks for the new angle!

Derek