AVIC411.com

New Firmware Version 2.003 for X920BT

I just installed the update on my X920BT. I haven't tested it out yet, but will do maybe tomorrow. With the firmware from the factory the person on the other line stated there was a bit of noise in the background. I thought maybe it was because of the type of car I drive where road noise is a bit worse than a family car.

Did anyone have any luck with this update helping at all?

Pioneer posted a new firmware Version 2.003 for US customers only. The notice said it addresses problems with BT mic and navigation. I have V2.002 now and will compare this when I get it installed later today.

Please edit your original post to indicate which unit you have so previous X owners wont misunderstand this isn't for them.

This version fixes the VR so that you no longer have to hit the "OK" button before bluetooth connects in order for VR to work for handsfree calling. You can now press "OK" well after BT connects and once the VR loads, you can voice dial contacts. Bout friggin' time! Haven't noticed any other changes as of yet. It's good to see Pioneer finally getting on the ball and fixing a few obvious bugs. Now if only they would fix the "navigation sucking horribly" bug. But for the $397 that I paid for this unit, I'm quite content!

Why don't you like the nav? I've seen quite a few comments about how bad it is.

My wife has a Nissan Armada with factory nav and I think I like the Pioneer nav better, so I'm a little confused about all the negative coments.

Matt

I completely agree. I really like the nav, at least on the few small trips I've used it on.

My wife has a Nissan Armada with factory nav and I think I like the Pioneer nav better, so I'm a little confused about all the negative coments.

Matt

Try out a Kenwood with Garmin for a week and you'll see. It's not even in the same class.

Matt

Try out a Kenwood with Garmin for a week and you'll see. It's not even in the same class.

Ummm, had a F90BT in my F150 then went with a Kenwood/Garmin unit in my 01 Cobra because of the slow start-up of the F90. I would choose that over the Garmin ANY day! Sure Garmin is very simple to use but it lacks in customization and options. After I sold my Cobra with the Kenwood DNX6140 and installed the X920 in our new car it absolutely destroys the Kenwood unit. The F90bt had a slow start-up time but the X920 beats the Kenwood unit hands down and it has a better glare reduction on the screen. My polarized sunglasses were worthless with the Kenwood LCD that they used as well. Wack! Speech is better in the 920 and the overall unit is just cleaner and more advanced and the Kenwood was more expensive a year ago than the 920 was this YEAR!

the X920 in our new car it absolutely destroys the Kenwood unit.

Know how I know you're crazy?

Granted I owned the 6140 so I'm not sure what their most expensive one offered but the $1100 or so I paid for 6140 a year or so ago didn't seem justified and it had all the bells and whistles supposedly. The iPod interface is a billion times better on the 920 or any Pioneer for starters, the 6140 looked like a 486 computer from back in the day and the 920 is like a Intel core 7 and there's no way you can argue that...

I've owned navi's in this order:

-Pioneer D3 (decent but lacking)

-Pioneer F90BT (slow startp/button finish flakes off)

-Kenwood DNX6140 (very basic interface overall, only BT voice commands, garmin is fast but lacks in options, good BT quality, horrible iPod interface)

-Pioneer X920 (good options/customization, great interface, voice commands for everything, fast VR dictionary, good BT quality, reduced screen glare, best iPod control out, overall the best unit I've owned so far)

I've spent some money as you see and still come back to Pioneer for a reason, they always seem to be the best out there at the time. Tell me a brand that can beat Pioneer right now in features and price? The 6160 is $200 more than the 920 these days and for what, a updated GUI? I emailed Kenwood a while back about their iPod interface to complain and they said it was due to usage rights by Apple. Looks like Pioneer has and will continue to have proprietary rights with Apple which leads to a better, more advanced way to control music.

I don't have an iPod or iPhone so I could give a shit about the interface. I've used multiple units from pretty much every carrier and this X920BT is one of the worst for countless reasons. If you like it that's great and if you want a like new barely used spare... let me know. As long as there's people who think it's great I shouldn't have a hard time selling it so I'm not going to try too hard to convince you as to how bad it is. For me however this will be the last Pioneer deck I ever own.

Let's keep this thread on topic. You can rant or rave about your Kenwood or Pioneer in another thread.

So I've had this upgrade installed for a couple of days now. The old BT noise Pioneer "fixed" is gone but a different buzzing noise still exists. With my last firmware v2.002, my friend described it as a swooshing back and forth sound. Now it is an annoying constant buzzing sound that is less subtle. Frustrated with the performance I decided to test this myself and called my home phone while the car was parked in my garage. The buzzing noise is clearly annoying on the receiving end. To confirm it is a problem with the X920BT, I switched the connection to my Plantronics Discovery 925 BT headset and buzzing noise disappeared.

I am curious to know if the problem is due to firmware (poor noise cancellation implementation) or the crappy microphone. Pioneer are you listening?

Let's keep this thread on topic. You can rant or rave about your Kenwood or Pioneer in another thread.

So I've had this upgrade installed for a couple of days now. The old BT noise Pioneer "fixed" is gone but a different buzzing noise still exists. With my last firmware v2.002, my friend described it as a swooshing back and forth sound. Now it is an annoying constant buzzing sound that is less subtle. Frustrated with the performance I decided to test this myself and called my home phone while the car was parked in my garage. The buzzing noise is clearly annoying on the receiving end. To confirm it is a problem with the X920BT, I switched the connection to my Plantronics Discovery 925 BT headset and buzzing noise disappeared.

I am curious to know if the problem is due to firmware (poor noise cancellation implementation) or the crappy microphone. Pioneer are you listening?

that seems like a fairly decent test. What phone, what vehicle, and what other aftermarket audio equipment is installed, if any? See if you can find another mic (the local auto shop sells Kenwoods for around $30) and swap them while the call is "hot" - which is probably a huge PITA, but can't think of another way to eliminate the mic concept.